Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the top feeders on the 2 hives from last year. Yesterday I put a medium with SC foundation and queen excluder between the 2 deeps and in the process I noticed that one feeder was empty while the other was 75% full. They had the same syrup, about 1 gal. each. I couldn’t see any difference between the 2 colonies in terms of strength or numbers. They both have larva and caped brood, eggs and larva in the bottom deep (I reversed about 3-4 weeks ago). The hives are 30-40 ft apart. How do you explain this and is thare something I can learn from it, or something I should be concerned about? I am planning to mix some Teramicin (? Spelling) with sugar and put on top of frames today or tomorrow.
Thanks
Daniel

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
It does not sound unusual to me. How were the winter stores prior to putting on feed.

Why are you using terramycin??

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Preventive, that's what I did last year. Maybe I shouldn’t. In terms of winter stores, this rings the bell. One of the hives had 2-3 full (both sides) frames of honey when I reversed them, but I thought they need 1:1 in the spring. Another bell ringing. They have all frames drown already. Hmmmm! Good thing I just stuck that medium in for them to work on. Should I start suppering or leave the deep above the medium and QE for them to store honey?

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
I can't suggest using anti-biotics as preventitive. Leads to resistance for sure. It isn't honey if you have corn syrup for feed.

If you super you have to pull feed for sure. And no terramycin.

Is a deep and a medium going to be your brood set up? It is fine if it is.

But I would go with 2 deeps or 3 mediums in your climate. It becomes much harder because of frame interchange if you do the medium/deep configuration.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is caped honey from last year. I am feeding 1:1 sugar with 2 spoons apple cider vinegar, 20 drops wintergreen and 20 drops spearmint per gallon.
I am planning on replacing (cutting down) the deeps with medium but at the same time regressing. I started by adding a medium with Dadant SC in between the 2 deeps and an excluder to keep queen out of the upper deep. Once the brood is out, I'll replace the top deep with a small cell medium. My hopes are that the queen will expand the brood into the middle SC medium once drown, and at then point I'll pill out the bottom deep and replace it (again) with a medium with Dadant SC. Does this makes sense?

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Does to me.

Excluders can be helpful in your situation by isolating her where you want.

[ April 19, 2006, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Sundance ]

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,094 Posts
>How do you explain this

They are bees. You need to get used to it.

>and is thare something I can learn from it

Yes. Every hive is different.

> or something I should be concerned about?

No.

> I am planning to mix some Teramicin (? Spelling) with sugar and put on top of frames today or tomorrow.

Bruce already asked my question. Why? You must want to get away from treating or you wouldn't be going to SC. Why treat for something they don't have?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts