Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have caught three baits hives on my pile of 2005 and older combs awaiting melting. This swarm scouted for a week and chose a box full of EFB combs. Ten pounds of bees? They kept coming for about 15 minutes and filled a deep wall to wall and a softball size clump hanging down below.

Later after re-organizaton with a box of Ritecell foundation on top.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Why would you have frames with European Foul Brood laying around. Shouldn't those be burned right away? I'm just asking...I have no experience with EFB...just what I've read.

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You burn AFB combs, not EFB. It is supposidly a "stress" disease that can be cured by re-queening and medicating. I have not had success with medicating and just melt them down now.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I melted all my EFB wax. Had a bait hive then had to swipe it or a nuc that got too big, don't really want too many hives out here, with the drought just more to feed. Wait til someone calls and go do a cutout, get paid, offset the sugar bill

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a monster, 0 in my bait hives this year, & very few swarm calls.
That's my feeling over on this side also. Fewer baits every year, more guys chasing swarms, but caught a lot of my own.

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts