Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to bees Olympia WA- Anyone ever observed hummingbirds thinking about entering hives? We have relatively mild winters as a rule and one species of hummingbird stay year round-Anna's hummingbirds. This past week was a major atmospheric river with even higher than usual rains, winds and very mild mid 50's temperatures. Yesterday was dry, calm, warm and full sun and lots of bee activity [yeah!] Two Anna's hummingbirds were observed sitting ever so patiently on the TBH stands trying it seemed to see if they could fit into an entry hole [no way to fit]. The bees were having none of that and eventually they left. This was a first for me, but then again so are many things. Common?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I see it every year. Always attempting to get into the entrances. Don't know how successful they are. Never noticed any real damage and I have never noticed my bees ever seeming to pay attention to them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see it every year. Always attempting to get into the entrances. Don't know how successful they are. Never noticed any real damage and I have never noticed my bees ever seeming to pay attention to them.
Thanks. Learn something new every day.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thats funny! I know bees love hummingbird feeders, and they often fight the birds for the red nectar, but I have never seen a hummingbird try to get in a hive. They wouldn't be able to do much even if they got in!

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's interesting. Never seen it at my hives but they're very close to the hummingbird feeders so I guess the birds don't bother trying to find the source of the delicious smell.

Hummingbirds are said to have limited or no ability to walk so they wouldn't be able to get further than the landing board if they did land.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've seen hummingbirds fly by my hives, hover next to them and perch on a nearby cedar branch. They apparently can smell something good, but can't figure out how to get to it. Beautiful animals, but there's plenty of forage around here with a lot less work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts