Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently seen a few very large wasps flying around my garden hives. They will grab a bee and fly off with it. I have seen the bees try to defend themselves by piling on but the only dead one so far is one I managed to stomp on. I know that there is a growing problem in China and the UK but I am in South Carolina. What would be the way to handle them? Will the bees take care of themselves?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I believe what you are seeing are hornets, some bee colonies will pile on the hornet in great numbers and "cook" the hornet by raising the temperature, they do this the same way they do in the hive by vibrating their wing muscles, I had a big problem with hornets for about three years but their numbers dwindled until now I don't see them, it sounds like you may have bees that are prone to kill the hornets, otherwise there's not much you can do, unless you can find the hornet's nests and kill them with insecticide.

·
Registered
378 Posts
no insecticide.:no:... wait till dark cover with trash bag if in tree .. Give it the same cold love you would for wax moth in the freezer . presto done... if on wall heavy mist sprayer on water . soak that paper nest they will be wet dark cant see you , falls apart done.. no extra bad chemicals in the enviroment

·
Registered
111 Posts
I use yellow jacket traps with meat in them. The meat attracts the yellow jackets, which are my biggest problem, and they also attract the large predatory wasps. It doesn't attract bees nor does it attract the little paper wasps which don't hurt my bees.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I have recently seen a few very large wasps flying around my garden hives. They will grab a bee and fly off with it. I have seen the bees try to defend themselves by piling on but the only dead one so far is one I managed to stomp on. I know that there is a growing problem in China and the UK but I am in South Carolina. What would be the way to handle them? Will the bees take care of themselves?
If they are black and white they live in a paper nest, if they are yellow and brown they dont. Either way proceed with caution, they both have wicked stings. G

1 - 5 of 5 Posts