Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, another Newbee question....

As of late, it seems in the evening a lot of my "girls' gather in clumps and a "beard? from the main (lower) enterence hanging down about 8 inches. This clump covers the landing board and enterence all together.

I thought it was them cooling off on the humid nights. However, it rained fairly decent the other night and my "clump of girls" was there getting soaked.

I've been told that it is an overcrowding and space problem. However, it just started happening. The funny thing is, I just added my first honey super (med deep)and it is totally empty leaving lots of room. I don't understand why they would "hang around" outside and get soaked in a downpour rather thn go inside.

As it is my first year, I kinda went with the "leave the hive alone. As they fill the first deep, add the second and so forth. Was I supposed to open the hive and scrape off all the burr comb and access giving them more room or something?

Unfortunately, the remains of Katrina are coming through tonight and tomorrow so there isn't much I can do right now. Will I loose a lot of bees because they hung out outside durring this heavy rain tonight and tomorrow?

After the storm, if they are still alive and clumbed outside at the end of the day, should I smoke them, brush them into a box, open my top and dump them into the empty med super to get them more interested in being inside than out?

Any comments and suggestion are appreciated.

Thanks everyone for answering all my questions thuis season. When i become an experienced Beekeeper, I'll most likely get a good laugh out of many of my question from this, my first, season!

Have a great day!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Bob:

They are just hot, and hanging out on the porch. They will go in if it starts raining too hard.

peggjam

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It rained the other night and they didn't go in. They were all wet and hanging in a clump. It didn't rain real hard or long, but it rained several times. I was surprised to see them all soaked and clumped up. Some must have fallen off the clump as they were all wet and clinging to the feran nearby.

This is why I was concerned. if they didn't go in in that rain...., will they go in in a heavy, all night rain? If not, I'm assuming they will die?

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
When was the last time you inspected the brood chamber(s)?

Open them up and take a good long look. Especially true for us beginners Bob. I get into them fairly often. It get so that you can be in and out in less than 5 minutes. I check the brood closly and spot check stores.

Have fun.....

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
My 3 strongest hives all had large beards when I got home about 6:00 tonight. It had been raining much of the day and while it is humid, it is not particulary hot (low 70s). All the hives have room in supers. On my other hives I can see bees on the bottom board but they're not overflowing out the front door! Maybe they felt like partying since the rain was over for the day.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Bob D and Bee Berry

I'll bet you had huge beards the past two nights! It's August with high humidity and the population is at it's highest!
Perfectly normal bee-havior.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK,I was worried. So, if they are clumped up and form a beard all night through heavy thunderstorms it won't bother them? They aren't overcrowded?

Thanks for all the replies. As I said, I'll get a good laugh at questions like these someday!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Bob D writes: So, if they are clumped up and form a beard all night through heavy thunderstorms it won't bother them?

NOPE! As soon as it warms up a bit and the sun is shining, the bees will go back to their normal duties. You don't need to worry about them so much Bob, they're doing fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts