Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was observing my hives yesterday and noticed some really huge bees going in and out of the hive.

They are massive, like, 4-5 times the size of my girls and they all have really black bums.

I suspect that these are drones but just want to make sure.

Anybody have an opinion?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Seriously that will work – but first you might try a close inspection of them to make sure they have a fuzzy butt without the ability to sting anything you poke them with.
You know how it is – the boys are just there for the love – none of the work.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Carpenter Bees?

No, they enter the hive without a problem so they must be honeybees from that hive. They're just really big.

·
Registered
453 Posts
An image would help a lot, however I'd be willing to put money down on that they are drones.

·
Registered
519 Posts
If they are entering the hive, then they are probably drones. But drones are about twice as big as the field bees, not 5 times as big (unless they are on steroids!).:)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Last year I had drones that were probably twice as big as the year before. The drones I have seen so far this year are the size of those 2 years ago.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I know bumble bees make some sort of honey, but I don't think carpenter bees do, but I have found carpenter bees in new hives. Never found them in established hives. Maybe it's the wood?

·
Registered
136 Posts
i have little experience, but last fall large bees were going in and out of my hive uncontested. they were not drones. at first i thought it might be the queen but there were too many for that. i firmly believe that they were robbing due to the fact that the hive starved to death overwinter

1 - 18 of 18 Posts