Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to bring everyone down, but Christmas is gonna kind of suck around here. Just found out Quinn (my granddaughter, who is fighting leukemia) will be going in tomorrow for a bone marrow aspiration; spinal tap; skin biopsy; and vincristin (heavy duty chemo) dose...

She's had a pervasive rash that may or (hopefully) may not be something called "relapse skin leukemia." She'd been doing very well during the maintenence phase of treatment, so this one kind of hit us out of the blue.

Anyway, with all that being done to her it's unlikely she'll be up for much on Christmas day. So, we're officially moving Santa's visit to Friday; he'll just have to put in a little OT.

She should be going to the mall and sitting in Santa's lap and getting her picture taken.

Sorry, everyone. Just needed to vent a little.

Have a great holiday, and be sure to spread the hugs around to all the munchkins. Hug the heck out of them.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I was reading the other day about her rash. Don't have the details infront of me. But I remember hoping it was going to be a viral rash and let it run it's course. I guess that is not the case? Not much I can do. But Quinn, you, and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
193 Posts
There is always hope. My neice also had leukemia, it was a long battle but she has been clean for over 10 years. She is a very pretty young lady who just finished college. Best of luck tony

·
Registered
30 Posts
HEY
wakling bird

i dont know if it wuold work but if she needs a marrow transplant i would be more then happy to be tested to see if we are compatible. i lost my 20 yr old son in 95 from cancer 20 days before my wife died we learned he had cancer. the hurt never stops but it does get easer. if ya need me brother let me know.

cliff

·
Registered
447 Posts
My prayers have been offer for you and Quinn.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HEY
wakling bird

i dont know if it wuold work but if she needs a marrow transplant i would be more then happy to be tested to see if we are compatible. i lost my 20 yr old son in 95 from cancer 20 days before my wife died we learned he had cancer. the hurt never stops but it does get easer. if ya need me brother let me know.

cliff
Cliff, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. We're not supposed to outlive our children. Your offer is incredibly generous--- and fortunately, we're not at that stage with her. She's responded very well to chemo so far; this is just a setback.

In fact, we had some pretty good news today. The bone marrow came back with ZERO leukemia cells. The skin biopsy takes a couple weeks, but my daughter has done her usual ceaseless research and came up with a potential diagnosis which the cancer doc says is actually a good possibility. Believe it or not, it may be parvovirus--- yeah, I know, the dog disease, I said the same thing. But it also hits leukemia victims, and the presentation is exactly what we've seen. So... not something fatal or requiring radiation. Which is good news, in my book.

Thanks to each of you for your kind words and thoughts. Santa's still gonna come, no matter what.

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this, but hopepful that everything goes well. Yes, hug 'em while you have 'em, because they are precious. My thoughts, prayers, and genuine empathy are with you.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
How are things on the financial front, Don't have much but if there is a need?

Kindest Regards

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again everyone, and DRUR, I appreciate the offer more than I can say. We do a variety of fundraisers, and fortunately my daughter's job is still solid, and pays pretty well. Naturally it's completely impossible to actually pay the medical expenses, but they're on a payment plan with the hospital and will simply pay that--- well, probably until they are grandparents themselves.

I'm also fortunate enough to make a decent living, and so we cover some stuff like property taxes, etc. for them.

btw--- We were over at their house yesterday, and the little rugrat was full of life and energy. Pooped out once or twice and had to lay down, but she rebounded amazingly. We had a great night.

Thanks, all.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
This "Hug 'em if you got 'em" really struck home here today. A good friend of mine and his wife lost their 9 yr old son today. He(son) was a good friend of my 10 yr old daughter and she was just talking about him when we had to break the bad news to her.:cry: He was snow boarding and went into the road and was struck by a car. Cherish what you got because you never know when it is going to be gone.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Beeslave, my condolences to your daughter, and my heart goes out to the family of that little boy. There are no words for that kind of tragedy... as someone who's been a parent for over 30 years now, it's just beyond anything I can say...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts