Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought out an old beekeeper recently that had cases and cases of brand new woodenware from Hubbard Aparies. I did a search here and didn't find them. I did an internet search and the articles about them are from in the mid 80's. Anyone know if they are still in business, or were they sold to someone else? Just curious...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hubbards sold out sometime in the late 80's. The business is now called Honey Tree and all they do is packing, mostly chinese honey. Jean Hubbard the daughter married Erinie Greob II. He has since passed and Erinie III now runs the outfit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi! Kim Hubbard here, My father and grandfather had Hubbard Apiaries. Dad said they sold a bunch of their wood stuff to Strausser in Walla Walla, Washington. It was a family outfit. Ernie went on to have Groeb Farms and Honey Tree still exists in Onsted, Michigan in the same building as Hubbard Apiaries. The other shop was in Summerfield, Florida. Groeb Farms has same locations but were also bought out. My Dad moved on to several other endeavors and my grandparents have a greenhouse just up the road from what is now Honey Tree.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Hi! Kim Hubbard here, My father and grandfather had Hubbard Apiaries. Dad said they sold a bunch of their wood stuff to Strausser in Walla Walla, Washington. It was a family outfit. Ernie went on to have Groeb Farms and Honey Tree still exists in Onsted, Michigan in the same building as Hubbard Apiaries. The other shop was in Summerfield, Florida. Groeb Farms has same locations but were also bought out. My Dad moved on to several other endeavors and my grandparents have a greenhouse just up the road from what is now Honey Tree.
Thanks for the interesting update. My father sold honey to Hubbards in the late 70’s I believe and was impressed in his dealings withLee (your grandfather?). I remember him visiting our honey house in South Dakota during extracting season.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Our family bought 2 of your 80?? frame extractors in 1980. They where still functioning in 2010. Too bad your family name got associated with the honeygate fraud.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Our family bought 2 of your 80?? frame extractors in 1980. They where still functioning in 2010. Too bad your family name got associated with the honeygate fraud.

Crazy Roland
I’ve never used one but it seems there is an almost universal opinion that they were the best radials ever manufactured.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
IIRC.....Because the bottom was sloped to the center, with the support bearing on legs in the center, the rim was quite high. There had to be room for the drain pipe to elbow and exit from the bottom center on the outside. Other than that, they where stout. Of course, after 30 years, on of the controls had been replaced with a Dadant unit, but that is to be expected.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
3 Posts
My grandpa (Richard Hubbard) has always been big on hard work, quality, and good manufacturing. The extractors were designed by my great uncle Jim Garrett- Richard’s brother in law. It’s so neat to know there’s still a community out there that knows the name and asking my dad about all these things prompts him into stories of his childhood there in Onsted at the plant and it’s been fun hearing it!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Ask your grandfather if he knew a "Bud" Diehnelt of Honey Acres.. You MAY hear more good stories.

Crazy Roland

1 - 11 of 11 Posts