Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for 50 lbs of Hubam clover seed. I've seen posts about folks growing it, but haven't found any seed in bulk. Anyone have a source for it?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your Google must work differently than mine. I haven't found a single source for bulk (50 lb) quantities of Hubam. The only one I found where it was listed said it was not available.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
With so much rains here we have lots of slugs crawling around.
Do they eat the clover sprouts too?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Will hubam survive a light freeze? What experience have you had with this clover. Is it perennial as advertised ...will it reseed? Will it attract bees the same as yellow sweet? Ready to sow but not sure how early in mid south.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know about it surviving a freeze. It probably will be okay. Most clover is fairly frost proof. I'm not planting mine until mid April, because I want a mid summer bloom, not a spring bloom. That's if I find any bulk seed. I have yet to find 50 lbs at a 50 lb price. I'm not paying $250-$500 for 50 lbs of seed. That would buy a lot of sugar.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I know it is a differrent seed but the last guy at the bee club meeting got 50 lbs of yellow clover and the price was $2 a pound at the local MFA. He was trying to buy ladino but they didn't have any and I think what they get goes year by year. I just threw this out cause it was a price per pound of something that I knew about and was recent. I don't really know if this info helps this thread topic but that was the hope in some way.
Good luck
gww

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
How about trying some out before investing in lots of seeds. If they do well in your
local area then you can invest some more next bee season. If not then at least your money
will be use for buying sugar. Anything I have not try I will be weary of investing that much in. Farming is
like beekeeping. You never know if they will make it or not.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts