Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I'm just curious to see how the swarm season in Illinois is going still, so far I've gotten one small swarm approx 2lbs, got a call for another that was about 2 weeks ago they were about 5-6lbs got there in time to watch them fly away:/.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Saw another beekeeper get two in Quincy the last week of May.
Well I don't know if that was my wife and I or not getting the swarms in Quincy that you mention. We got two in one week, one of those on 5-29, the other in early June. Small swarms, 1.5 pound, and the other one pretty small too, less than 2 pounds I'd guess. They're both going gangbusters in their new home now.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Wish it'd pick back up again...
Well if one of ours decide to throw another swarm, I'll tell 'em to head SouthEast ... :)

I remember last year it seemed there were all kinds of swarms being talked about in our club meetings, on the local news, etc. It seemed to start off promising, and then got quiet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Maybe we lost too many hives and the replenishment seemed to happen in late May....so many packages and nuc' may have only been in for less than 30 days

·
Registered
142 Posts
I got one call on Sat May 31st, but I was out of town so I didn't get it. Haven't got another call since. I have heard of 2 or 3 swarms in the area in the last few weeks...but that is dismal compared to last year. I got 5-6 last year myself. I also have 5 bait hives set and haven't caught any in them yet either....I think this year is a wash...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got 8 swarm traps out and I've only had one trap that had activity around it this year with nothing else from any of the other traps:/. The last call I did was prolly approx 2-3 weeks ago... I hope to get somemore calls coming up because I've got 5 more hives that I'd like to get filled this year...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Maybe we lost too many hives and the replenishment seemed to happen in late May....so many packages and nuc' may have only been in for less than 30 days
I think this is pretty accurate. Add to this the winter we just had. I had my eye on 2 feral colonies that didn't survive the "arctic vortex". I knew if any swarms were caught this spring, they'd be golden. They'd have great genetics.

I had 8 swarm traps out and empty equipment laying around my county. Only caught one in a trap. Had 2 calls. One mid-May and the other on 6/2. It's been a slow start for sure. But I anticipated a late and inactive swarm season.

Maybe it will pick up? Fingers crossed.

BTW, I'm including myself in the IL thread because I live on the Mississippi River and can see IL from my porch. Close enough, right?

·
Registered
362 Posts
BTW, I'm including myself in the IL thread because I live on the Mississippi River and can see IL from my porch. Close enough, right?
I've got Missouri bees in my yard. They pack a good sting. Love mushroom hunting and fishing in Saverton, that's good land. Good luck with your traps.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
I'm not in IL, but got a call for a large one in Rock Island May 21 ended up getting the left overs :(. Then got three calls just north of the Quad Cities. One queenless two appear to be with queen. Those three from June 5-13. Out of town at the beginning part of this week... got a call in Maquoketa yesterday June 16. My brother showed up and only a handful were left.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I've got a strong hive building swarm cells....maybe one of you will get a swarm after all!!! LOL
I've wondered if we'd get some late ones been keeping my eye on a Ferrell colony that survived the winter and they are bearding heavily got a trap 10 ft from the tree they landed in last yr

1 - 20 of 22 Posts