Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I got 240 pounds from two hives in Dover, NH and 60 pounds from one in New Durham, NH in June and July. We had a long hot dry spell. After we got some rain everything seems to have stopped. I haven't visited either site since the end of July. Will check them tomorrow.

Here in Maine I haven't harvested anything. The bees are consuming all they bring in. even the brood chambers are light. Waiting for the right goldenrod to start blooming. They do not work the early stuff around here. I do detect a faint smell of it now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Treeoflife, sorry I wasn't more clear. I mean I'll let the bees have the honey; like you said, I have no control over their getting the goldenrod.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Back at it again this year after a couple of years off. One hive, a swarm from last year has produced almost 200 lbs. Another, a feral, is only at about 80 lbs.
A more typical summer in southwestern Ontario--warm with plenty of moisture.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Iahawk, thanks for explaining about the goldenrod! :doh: Makes perfect sense to me now, of course. I really thought I was missing some neat trick!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm just down the way from you in Oakland. Also wondering about the fall.

I'm amazed you got such a huge harvest from a first year hive! We harvested a few frames, mostly because they were built strangely (foundationless), and were getting ripped. Most of the stores belong to the bees this year.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
NW Ohio. Only 800+ hives. Finish first pull last week at 37 Ton. Started second pull this week and it looks as good if not better then the first. Shoting for a 70+ ton honey season.:banana:
WOW, that is averaging over 150 pounds per hive. What do you think your main flow is coming from?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sqkcrk, I was reponding to a post from iahawk, who said he was going to "'let them have the goldenrod"'. I was questioning how he was going to stop them. It was actually a funny exchange. :lpf:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Rained out today, but the first rain in almost a month.
Dingler you know 5 supers wasn't enough when your jeans take on 5 lbs in honey though the day. Even with all the early bad queens coming out of the south this spring, we did good. I had a 20% replacement on early queens this year. Thats what happen when buying queen in March when the weather is warmer in the north then the south. We have hit all the summer flows sofar this year. Basswood was heavy. I have 3 large alfalfa pellet mills in my area, and they have been 3-4 weeks behind this year.:applause: The sweetclover was heavier then the basswood flow. The last time I seen all the flows hit was back in 1985. We was taking honey off in the snow that year. Yes this is a 1 in 25 year flows.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Yeah, I hit all my flows good too in this area, starting with black locust, then all the clover varieties, then basswood, then thistles. All produced as good as you could hope for in one season, the temps, humidity, and moisture were perfect. Hoping for a good long fall flow too, we'll see what happens, but this is looking like a season for the record books in this area. John

·
Registered
107 Posts
Real strong in S. Wisconsin. Started with strong spring pollen production and never let up. Some new packages are over 100lb, established hives closer to 200. Consistent rain and heat have kept alfalfa and clover in bloom. No sign of a major late season drought yet. Golden rod is coming in early, and there may be a good late alfalfa flow as well. 180 degrees from last year.

·
Registered
261 Posts
What honey crop? Unless we get a good fall crop I won't have enough honey to talk about. I only have 19 hives here in NE Ok. It has been so hot here the bees took back everything they made in the spring.I should have taken it off then but thought it would get better. I sure don't want to feed them now but don't have any choice.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Real strong in S. Wisconsin. Started with strong spring pollen production and never let up. Some new packages are over 100lb, established hives closer to 200. Consistent rain and heat have kept alfalfa and clover in bloom. No sign of a major late season drought yet. Golden rod is coming in early, and there may be a good late alfalfa flow as well. 180 degrees from last year.
Sounds like Michigan.
I think I need more bottles.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts