How's everyones honey harvest doing?
Here is southern Iowa it's been wet.
Seems to rain every 2 days.
Not much honey being made.

Joe

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Two other guys and i are seeing about 30 pounds per hive so far this year in NY. Jon has bees in three different areas of NY. dave has them in a cpl and I have mine in two counties in a sorta string that spans maybe 60 miles.

Mike Plamer says that his NY hives are about 100 pounds per. He is in another part of Northern NY. Maybe I need to move. And change management practices.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Considering the crappy cold wet spring in Western Washington, the weather turned the corner in time for the blackberry flow (main) and it's turning out pretty good.
I've pulled 60 lbs of blackberry from each colony in the city so far. There is a little lull right now, but my colonies out in farm country in the Cascade foothills have better forage and are still working along. The average is about 80 lbs each on those that I'm pulling this weekend. Packages out there even put up what looks like 60 to 80 lbs of surplus.
In about 2 weeks the first knotweed will bloom and that should last for about a month in the good areas.

I really thought it was going to be crappy considering most beeks had to feed through the crazy rain we had this spring. Many colonies died. Those that didn't swarmed their butts off. Swarms were even swarming. I had a hard time believing it until some 40 year beeks were complaining about. Then I did 3 removal of swarms that had swarmed. Odd year.
~Reid

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Crazy Rain? You live in Seattle, Washington. What, was it falling in diagonal zig zag patterns? lol, just kidding. never been there. only heard that rain and Seattle are sysnonomus.

·
Registered
66 Posts
First year beek here in Santa Clara, CA. My first year hive gave me 8 gallons so far. Don't know what to expect from fall.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Crazy Rain? You live in Seattle, Washington. What, was it falling in diagonal zig zag patterns? lol, just kidding. never been there. only heard that rain and Seattle are synonymous.
Hay, I guess it's all relative. Don't tell anyone, but summers here are great if you consider temperatures above 80 deg. useless, which I do. But after October 15th all bets are off and we'll get a good 2 to 3 solid weeks of rain. In my neck of the woods "crazy rain" is when 4th generation western Washingtonians (like me) start asking when it's going to stop raining. The worst was a few years ago when we had 90 consecutive days where it rained every single day. That's crazy rain. I was well beyond my re-hydration state.
~Reid

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
That's crazy rain. I was well beyond my re-hydration state. ~Reid
Funny thing is the rain does not belong to us. So legally we are not allowed to have rain barrels to divert the rain and use it to water flowers. No that is illegal. The rain belongs to the Salmon. :no:

But, it is sure beautiful up here and I have a couple million girls to prove it. :D

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
This is shaping up to be a pretty good year.

I took a quick look through my supers last weekend, and assuming about 3 lbs for a medium frame, it looks like I'll be getting about 350 pounds out of five hives. Of course not all the hives are producing the same amount. My weakest hive might do 30 lbs. and my strongest looks like it may make a little over 110.

My job keeps me really busy in the spring, so this production is without doing any early pollen feeding. One of these years I'm going to find time to do some more intensive spring management and see what my area is really capable of.

This would have been the year to do some comb honey, but of course, I wasn't prepared.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
The spring crop was pathetic, weather didn't cooperate, and I lost some swarms. 16 pound average. :eek:
Put 10 productive hives on soybeans, but checking yesterday, looks like the soybean flow has stopped. Not sure what I'll get from that, perhaps 40 pound average. We'll see when I pull it in a couple weeks when I'm sure 2 other fields of beans are through.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just my third year but doubled my hives and still did decent on honey. Spring honey about 4 good gallons and sourwood from the mountains abt 8. Spring honey was mostly wildflower and blackberry from two hives and the sourwood was from two hive out of the four I had there. Put eight hundred miles on the truck going back and forth but well worth it. I was happy. Peace Dave

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have one hive that is giving me five medium supers, one hive giving me three medium supers, and four hives giving me two medium supers.

Should be looking at: 16 mediums so around 450 to 480 pounds.

Very good year in West Michigan.
Now just need my dang Jars to get here, labels are here with nothing to put them on!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I do splits all season long and sell the nucs, so my honey crop isn't the best. I did manage to get 60 lbs. from 3 hives and 120 lbs. from one hive I didn't split. Goldenrod is just around the corner :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Eastern Iowa, had a fantastic June, filled and capped a medium super in about 2 week's time, expecting somewhere around 40 lbs. from that one hive. Since then, it has been very rainy and progress has been much slower. Good winter stores in the hive already, though, so may have to see what the late summer goldenrod might bring. Will let the bees have it if they need.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just curious......how do you STOP bees from working goldenrod if they want it? :scratch:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just north of Cedar Rapids IA. I'll harvest in about 2 weeks, just as the goldenrod starts to come on strong. Looking at about 100-120 from my 2 strongest hives and 40-60 from my other hives.
Not a barrel buster of a year but a dang site better than last year.
Then to start getting the girls ready for winter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Our first crop harvested almost 3 weeks ago - got 100 lb from 2 hives, they filled these up and capped in about 6 weeks, have the supers on again hoping to get a second crop - all sold out of first crop honey!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts