Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's everyone? I'm new to this forum and beekeeping. I have not the first clue about keeping bees but am very intrigued by it. I was going to start building me a hive but the langstroth has those special joints that I wasn't too sure about. Can you build one with strictly butt joints? I had also thought about using a top bar hive but read you don't get as much honey from it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you want to build a vertical hive, have you considered a Warre (which uses butt joints, btw)? They provide less honey than a lang, but they are also 1/3 the size of a lang. On the other hand, a French study showed that if you tally up the total costs of a lang vs. a warre, the warre provides a better ROI.

I just built a Warre a couple of months ago, and it was a very simple design -- a perfect project for me since I just started learning to do shop stuff a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Welcome! You can use butt joints, that's what I use on my boxes. I use titebond III and exterior deck screws and they hold up well. Just be sure the box dimensions are accurate, square, and level so they don't rock. There are several books on the subject available plus check out the build it yourself threads here on BeeSource. Good luck and have fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts