Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started keeping bees and have two healthy hives. I've received a lot of feedback on some SHB questions and this site has been a great resource.

Today I added one hive body to each of my hives. I needed to clean off new comb that was being built between the inner cover and the frames. This comb was packed with honey but it was small chunks. I set some of the comb in front of the hives for the bees to clean out and then I dropped the rest of the comb between the center two frames after putting the upper hive body on. This pushed the middle two frames apart near the bottom because the wax was in the way.

My question is two parts. Will the bees use the wax to build more comb and thereby allow the frames to hang plumb again? Should I clean the comb out so that they do not build comb between the frames that now have more than a beespace worth of distance between them?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
1."...Will the bees use the wax ..."
nope
2."...Should I clean the comb out ..."
yes
good luck,mike

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Your problem I think is you have messed up the bee spacing so they will do what they want. Whatever that is. My guess is they will decide to weld it into the two frames. The frames pushed apart will of course be closer to the other frames so they may weld those up as well. So you may end up with 4 or more frames in a mess :D

If you find chunks of honey comb eat it :) Bee Nibbles.

Mike

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Beekeeping 101: Bee space. Anything larger than 3/8" they fill with wax. Anything smaller than 3/8" they fill with propolis. There are a few exceptions like at the entrance but just remember you can not violate bee space. :D

(the 3/8" is approximate)

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
They do not reuse wax in any measurable quantity. Take the comb out that you dropped down in the bottom or expect to be cleaning up a big mess next time. Carry a small bucket (with lid) whenever you work your bees and keep all your burr comb in it until you can melt it down. Eat the comb with honey in it! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts