Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you’re using a division feeder as the divider and also the feeder, how do you keep the bees from the two sides from mingling at the trough? And will a cleat on the bottom board under the feeder work to keep that part separate?
Megan Hughes

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
if you were using one like this you could make a zig-zag wood thing on the top so one hole went to one side and the other to the other side. suppose you could also modify the wood holes or make new ones to move it to one side and use a straight board.
think i'd make a I beam of two pieces of wood so it sandwiched the bottom. double protection. For all this trouble i'd just make two nucs.

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/shop-al...-4-pro-feeder-3-wide-1-gallon-with-cap-ladder

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I've just pulled this from my 'Michael Palmer' sub-directory, so I reckon it must be one of his 'partition feeders':

As you can see the feeder has an upside-frame on top - dunno why - maybe for comparison ? You should just be able to make out a row of tack marks running down the centre which holds a separator in place, so that what you then have are effectively two feeders 'side by side', each with their own entrance - one on each side.

Hopefully you'll also be able to make out 2 areas where the feeder top bar is 'missing' - those are the two openings into which the syrup is poured ...
LJ

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I believe that MP has moved away from these division feeders and prefers some type of top jar feeder. He was having trouble with bee building comb and queens entering the division feeders. At least that's my memory on this subject. I almost went that route too, but opted for the jar feeder. I'm using solid dividers when needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts