Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm wanting to return my brood boxes to deeps, as I have a good supply of these and don't want to use deeps for honey supers. What are some effective ways to get the colony to move from three mediums below a QE into a deep - not immediately but for next year? Maybe use a deep for a honey super and then after harvest return it below the excluder, and move any empty mediums out from below toward the end of the season, when the population gets low (before fall buildup?)?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
If you have deep frames of comb for your deep brood boxes just put the deep on the bottom board.

Put 1 or 2 medium frames with sealed/emerging brood and the queen plus adults shaken from four other combs in the center of the deep and put the queen exclude on top. Add the mediums above the excluder, then check in a week for eggs/larvae in the deep frames, and queen cells above the excluder.

When there are eggs/larvae in the deep frames move the medium frames back above the excluder for the brood to emerge. As brood emerges the empty cells are used for nectar storage. The brood nest is established in the deep and surplus honey storage above, all finished in three weeks.

If you have no deep comb then have the deep frames drawn on the nectar flow, extract, then do the above procedure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts