Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the signs that a hive is queen less?

I have taken my 2 deep colony and created 2 nucs from it I plan to add new purchased Queens for the each of the 2 nucs, what If I mistakenly removed the Queen from the original hive? Is there any way to tell outside of locating the queen? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Eggs!!! If you see eggs she has been there within the last three days. Now that is not immediate proof; but proof in time to allow you to release your queen from the cage in a reasonable amount of time.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
What are the signs that a hive is queen less?

I have taken my 2 deep colony and created 2 nucs from it I plan to add new purchased Queens for the each of the 2 nucs, what If I mistakenly removed the Queen from the original hive? Is there any way to tell outside of locating the queen? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
What you need to do is pull your frames of brood, shake all the bees from each back into your brood box. Then place your now beeless frames in your nuc box or empty deep (you can transfer to a nuc box in a day). place a queen excluder over the brood chamber. Place your brood comb with no bees over the excluder. Replace the cover over that. Come back in the morning. The bees will have moved up to your nuc brood combs. Pull off this box, remove the queen excluder and cover your original hive. You now have queenless nucs. Move to a nuc yard and add your queens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts