Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have these elk that come through every night and just smash my hives --- they seem to just rub on them until the hive falls over then the bees come out everywhere and then the hive gets smashed in -

Question is how to stop the elk from coming around them ??
i have nieghbors that probably wouldnt like the critter gitters - alarms and stuff

i could just start shotting the darn things but then ill have every bambie lover at my door -

is there a way to keep them out - i have a barb wire fence but they just hope that - i cant see building a 12' high fence around 6 acer field

any oder they dont like??
any help or hints will be sucked up like a dry sponge

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had a skunk coming around my hives for the last couple of weeks. Last night I set up a motion activated water sprinkler. No sign of the skunk this morning, and I can tell the sprinkler came on during the night.

I'm planning on using it to keep the deer and elk out of the garden this summer.

·
Banned
4,229 Posts
You could call up your local conservation office and explain your situation.

They've probably had to deal with 'pesky' elk before.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the sprinker might work but water source form my house to the bees is about 200 yards

i might just have to move them closer to the house in hopes that they dont find them- i moved 12 hives out to the outer field since the sun hits it at 8am and at the house location at about 10am - but 2 hrs of sun compared to Elk damage is understandable --- might have to make more room in the freezer !!!!

haha- im trying to keep in a good mood over this and look on the bright side of things - maybe i can put up a ELK FOR SALE sign !!!! haha

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have placed posts at different heights and put plastic grocery bags on them like flags. As the wind blows it spooks deer and elk away from my hives.
Clint

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
First, don't make the fence any bigger than you need. They will walk around a fenced half acre or so rather than jump it unless that is the only place that has green grass.

When I grew up we had a 8' deer/elk fence around our town because of all of the cherry orchards. They would break the wire bonds between the two 4' sections of woven wire and squeeze through. Amazing to watch, but pretty annoying. Elk can to a lot of damage in an orchard.

I have only a 5 foot fence around my small orchard/garden/hive area. They could easily jump the fence. It is around a small enough area that they will just walk around rather than jump it. I did have a couple of deer a few years ago that did. Two deer that would sleep in there every night. I would chase them out at dinner time and by the time dinner was over they were back in there. But over the past 20 years they were the only ones, even though we see them in our back yard at least weekly.

A guy that I work with has problems with elk getting into his horse arena area. I think that he said that they need to see a fence (like a bear) otherwise they just jump though it and drag all of the posts/wire with them back into the woods when they get hit with the electricity.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Put a small flag on your fencing.

They will stick their nose up to it, to inspect before attempting to crawl through or jump.

Check with your local game and fish conservation dept.

You maybe entitled to monetary compensation.

In some states hunters have to purchase damage stamps when they hunt big game.

While you are at it, ask if you just can't do those aggravating varmints in, to protect your personal property.

In the 1700's the biggest threat to settlers here in East Tennessee wasn't the Indians, it was the Eastern Woodland Buffalo, destroying their crops and livelihood.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah ive see the damage they do to fences - but i have the only green field on there path - they spend the day in the hills and come to eat at night - i might just move the hives closer to the house and fence a smaller area - i was just hoping to spread out the hives this year to reduce robbing and drifting - but seems sucky to have 18 acers and can only put the hives in my back yard !!!! talked with the Game dept and turns out that the State PLANTED the elk im my area !!!!! yeah i was pissed - they said that they plant elk in fields that have no livestock in them and since i dont have a horse out there i get ELK - what a joke - anyhow so i cant harm them in ANY way - but seems that any pest that tampers with your proporty should be dealt with ???

anyhow ill just move my hives for now and deal with the walking steakes out there later in the fall

·
Registered
34 Posts
Go to your local barber shop and ask for hair clippings, then put the hair in some panty hose and hang it around your hives. I've seen it work well with deer, they don't like the smell of humans.
Tim Adams

·
Registered
183 Posts
If Elk are like deer, after a while they become acclimated to the different scents.

It works for a while, then they are right back to their old tricks again.

The only thing that I have seen spook deer, day in and day out was fresh cat tracks.

Be it a house cat or a bob cat.

When I speak of fresh, like in the last 4 hours or so.

They get a nose full of that, then they hair up, get to stomping, snorting and blowing.

·
Registered
869 Posts
30.06 and two problems are solved. Bees are safe and fire up that BBQ, you've got dinner! ;) If your really concerned about the Bambi huggers, you could invite them over for the BBQ. Got a bow? If you don't, I'm sure there's a bow hunter somewhere near ya.

·
Registered
706 Posts
How to stop elk? Use a 30-06 300 win mag? large freezer:lpf: All joking aside call Washington Fish and wildlife to see if you can get a farmers permit to shoot one, there are some farmers here localy that get a permit that lets them bag a few thru out the year. or send them the bill for new bees fencing ect. after a few bills sent their way they do something about it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
haha YEAH !!!!

BIG BBQ at my place --

ive got bow hunters lined up at the door so i think the problem will work its self out in time

but thank you everyone for the tips

also we moved the hives to a new spot closer to the house and ill get fencing to block them off -

thought about just sparying the ENTIRE field with Round UP and force them to find food else where

or start a herd of coyotes - that way its survivial of the fitest

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I am going to chime in.....pay my gas and I will take care of your problem 300 win mag style.:cool::rolleyes: I'm thinking jerky and steaks, what about you? LOL:applause:

Kingfisher

1 - 20 of 26 Posts