Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 7 hives, all using mediums. A couple are from last year and doing great, though getting bigger than I want now, 5-6 deep now. I have one 5 frame nuc with new laying queen that I would like to move to 10 frame and add one or two mediums from other strong hive. I have one 10 frame with new laying queen, add one medium at least. Other hives are cutouts that need to be beefed up with mediums from other hives. My goal is to get all hives to 3 mediums and then go from there. I have taken frames of brood with the nurse bees on them and added to other hives which seemed to work OK. Now I'd like to take whole box from one hive and add to another. Do I need to get all bees off of frames with nectar and pollen before adding? Do I need to use the newpaper method to combine? If I have frames of brood with just nurse bees are they always accepted? If I add frames with workers on them to a diff hive, do they fight, do they just fly back to old hive. I have done a number of newspaper combines where I added fresh cutout to hive and this worked well. Just not sure the best way to go now. Hope that makes some sense. Thanks

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
1."...whole box ...Do I need to use the newpaper method to combine..."
yes
2."... just nurse bees are they always accepted? "
yes
3."...If I add frames with workers on them to a diff hive, do they fight."
yes
4."...the best way to go ..."
a newspaper combine nearly always works, so when in doubt...:)
good luck,mike

·
Registered
302 Posts
I agree with Mike, when moving a whole box I would go the newspaper route and checking the box first to make sure I dont move the queen with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So to add actual numbers of bees to weak hives I have to add frames with brood and nurse bees. Strengthen one, weaken the other. Otherwise I can add pollen/nectar frames, just brush all workers off. No bees but food for weaker hives. Chad

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
"...No bees but food ..."
i'd just use an inner feeder and give'em syrup. i like a gallon paint bucket feeder.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do use feeders but was looking to reduce size of a couple hives.....so thought I'd take the nectar and pollen frames to lighten them up some. Guess if I took the brood frames from bigger hives it would reduce congestion and reduce overall size of hive. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
There seem to be as many ways to split hives as there are beekeepers, times ten.

My personal favorite is to steal resources from strong hives and use them to make nucs. I use nucs to raise and keep queens. They can then, also be used to establish new hives.

·
Registered
114 Posts
:eek:t: A Little Bit

Northern WI,
HONEY FLOW is on, not taking sugar syrup last few days on my foundation hives.
Double queen scale hive gained 5# each of the last 5 days.
Weigh early in the AM so the nectar is evaporated.
2# or about 9000 field bees that leave for work in daytime hours..LOL

I am in a wooded area, no hay fields within several miles this year. My girls work very hard to gain stores.

Much needed late rain and now high temps, almost no spring flow here.
A rather odd year for sure.

BM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts