Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to make a quick modification to my hive stand. Should only take about 15 minutes to do. What is the safest way to temporarily move a hive a couple of feet?

Mike

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If you are indeed moving the hive a few feet away from it's current location you will want to make sure that you do something to initiate the bees into a mode of orientation. Some people use a small branch sat against the front side of the hive. They will come out, see the different situation, reorient , and all is well. Just don't put another hive in the old location as all the field bees will come back there instead.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
If you are only going to have it a couple of feet away for 15 minutes I would simply move it as it is , do my fixing and move it back:)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'd set up a temporary stand right next to it, move it over do your work, put it back..
I'd put it right in front of it if possible. That way bees on their flight back will just hit the hive sooner. If you move them to the side they'll start landing where the hive used to be and make your work on the stand harder. Just put bricks/logs/whatever on the ground in front of the hive to get a temporary stand.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I will also suggest you keep it as close to the current position as you can, work quickly, and move it back. Ratchet straps are great if you want assurance that the hive won't shift. I had to do something similar, so I am going to give you fair warning....Wear a Full suit, have your smoker going well, and work quickly! You are going to have a yard full of pissed off forager bees in no time! You would probably do best to work close to dusk. I learned the hard way doing a "this will only take a minute" move. :eek: :lookout:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts