Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying my first checkerboarding this year and am trying to get rid of the double deep I have. I was able to checkerboard the medium I have above the double deeps, it was capped honey all the way across. (kudos to the Carniolan bees....my Italians bred way too long and ate way too much and due to my hesistance to peek at them during the frigid weather we had this year...well, they starved). The bottom deep had scattered pollen and some nectar of some sort, but no brood. They were up in top deep. (with honey on outside frames...go girls!)
So I removed the bottom deep, moved the brood deep to bottom board then the two checkerboarded mediums and finally the scattered pollen deep to the top of the stack. Is that right? I was hoping they would move/use the pollen for brood rearing and empty that deep so I can remove it.
I plan to put a medium of brood on bottom when that happens and let them make that a pollen box when the brood hatch out.
We are just starting to get pollen in (central VA, 65 today), but still around freezing at night.

Thanks all,
Jim

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just curious, are you blaming the Italians for starving??
No. I blame me for not understanding the different races of bees and how they fit in my area. I also blame my inattention to details. I saw a quote that said Experience is a stern teacher...you get the test first, then the learning....boy am I learning. And just so you know...I felt sick when I found the dead hive....

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
another possibility for those empty deep frames is to freeze them for now and use them later for a split or caught swarm.

·
Registered
11,713 Posts
It's unlikely they will bother removing the pollen now you've put it up over 3 boxes, not in the short term anyway. Just be happy if they remove the honey and then remove the box if that's what you want to do.

I'm figuring the plan is to change the whole hive to mediums? But if not, what MP suggested.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I was hoping they would move/use the pollen for brood rearing and empty that deep so I can remove it.
Well Jim is sounds like that haven't started brooding up so why do you think the pollen would be gone? Now you took it away.:scratch:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Jim is sounds like that haven't started brooding up so why do you think the pollen would be gone? Now you took it away.:scratch:
I didn't want the second deep refilled with brood as I want to only have one deep.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts