Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attached two pieces of empty comb using hair clips in my new TBH. I used one hair clip per comb. I completed my first inspection (day 4) and the front bar/comb was almost complete now and was full of a clear liquid. Because I only used one hair clip, the comb was bending on one side due to the weight. While the bar was sitting on my inspection stand, the comb fell off. The comb just slipped out of the hair clip. I reattached it using wire in 3 locations and removed the hair clip. I'm not sure that this will work, but I wasn't sure what to do at the time since the hair clip failed. What's the best way to reattach fresh comb? I have seen the mention of a rubber band method, can someone explain this for me?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have used POST #8 and it works..Check out YouTube--Out Of A Blue Sky for top bar hives.
I tried using the hair clip method that "out of a blue sky" uses and the bees didn't attach the comb to the bar quick enough and the clip let loose due to the weight. Maybe if I used 2-3 clips per bar instead of just 1 it would work better.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I had to use 3 of the bigger one, some time they work, sometimes they don't. Some times, depending on the weather, I use the 1/2 wire in # 8. If it is real hot weather it may not work either. Have a great day, I have to go, it's BEE time..

·
Registered
638 Posts
I took the fresh comb and a heat gun and heated the wax at the top of the comb and I then stuck it to the guide stick and let it cool. the bees have gone back in and fixed what i messed up doin it and you can tell where they did a better job of adhering it to the stick. I've only had to do it once and this time it worked....may not next time but thats what i did.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have broken a comb FULL of brood off of top bar before. The bees were definitely not happy. I used masking tape as a "girdle" looping under the comb and round over the top of the top bar. I closed up the hive and two weeks later when I returned the comb had been rejoined seamlessly and the bees had chewed off the masking tape as they no longer needed it. All i had to do was remove the small tab over the top of the top bar. I can't tell which one it was now. I now always carry masking tape with it to the hive.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used masking tape as a "girdle" looping under the comb and round over the top of the top bar.
I like the masking tape idea because they can remove it when it is no longer needed. I'll see how the wires are holding next time I'm in there and maybe I'll add a wrap or two of tape.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also like the masking tape and it is what I use now with great results. I tried the hair clip method with bad results (collapsed comb). I have also tried the tack and cotton string method and that was a nightmare that ended in the same result. The bees get the masking tape version reattached in a couple days. I was worried about the bees sticking to the tape at first but no issues. They walk right across it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Unfortunately the wisdom of that was not in my planning in building the hives (I used the 55 gallon drum plans for a number of reasons) but it makes observing hard...however, they aren't building at the front (yet) so I can peek in there and I left them with some 1:1 cause they're going to need it...so I can just pull the follower back to see how my comb is doing. Literally have the hive is masking tape, lol. I hope it makes it.

I am correct in that if I killed the queen tonight, they will raise a new one up from one of the eggs?

I never saw her, but I really ticked the hive off. Up to now I could almost not have to wear a mask, but tonight, I was stung like 20 times and they followed me INTO THE HOUSE.

I love this stuff, its addicting. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Could go either way on the new queen building. I don't think the fact that they are aggressive now is a good sign about the fate of your old queen, but time will tell. Give em a few days and go look for queen cells/queen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts