Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 new hives. Currently only 1 deep each. Located in southern British Columbia. I'd like to move the hives in about 6 weeks to higher elevation area. This site is currently inaccessible with no forage (snow cover). It's many acres of fireweed (forest fire site).

I don't have any lifting equipment, so hoping to keep each hive as lightweight as possible or managing the boxes somehow.

One possibility: place new upper deeps on soon with combless frames. The idea is that bees will simply make comb. Then when nectar flow occurs (in about 6 wks), I simply remove the upper deeps and lift/move my hives to the higher elevation area. Then put new honey supers on.

Will this work? Better ideas?

THANKS

·
Registered
99 Posts
By "combless frames" do you mean foundationless, or with foundation? If they're building up fast, I wouldn't add a foundationless box. They might backfill the first deep and want to swarm.

As a hobbyist, I move hives on my own by splitting up the boxes, then reassembling at the destination. I like to use ventilated inner covers to close the top and bottom and strap them together - easier than stapling screen wire.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
i use a 2 wheel dolly when moving hives bigger then one box. Even with one box it can still be a back saver. use a piece of plywood under the bottom board. screen them closed and either ratchet strap or screw them together with 1x3 wood.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My frames have combless plasticell foundations.

Splitting up boxes sounds interesting. I guess you'd seal the top deep. Then wait to early morning to seal the lower deep.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Prepping the hives beforehand and loading at night or early morning with ratchet straps, two wheeled dolly and a trailer you can roll on/roll off isn't bad at all; though time of "day" and temps can be an issue. A couple potential "deadlift" concerns would be how high/confined is your transport vehicle (SUV/pickup/trunk of a car), how high are your hive stands at both locations and what type of terrain between your load/unload locations and the hive locations?
I also assume what goes up the elevation must come down later; since you ask about an entry plan, what's the exist plan when boxes are loaded with honey?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, my 4x4 pickup - no trailer seems to challenge a dolly method. The road to the fireweed heaven is primitive - but I think fine as long as hives are very secure. Bringing hives back down mountain should work because I'd be removing each super off the deeps.

The most feasible suggestion - for my situation may be splitting up the boxes, then reassembling at the destination. I never thought of using a ventilated inner covers - definitely looking into!

THANKS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts