Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to convert to 8 frame equipment from 10 frame and wonder how to fit them the best way.
1. Would you center the narrow box on top and put a narrow board on each side to form a cover for the exposed frames in the wide box?
2. Would it be better to make a base like the ones used for combining a nuc to a full size box and would that cause burr comb below the narrow box?
3. Would it be too disruptive to transition to 8 frame brood chambers now in the middle of nectar flow and spring build up?
4. What's the best way for me to transition my 12 colonies of 10 frame hives over to all 8 frame mediums?

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I am assuming the frames are all the same size, and there is no brood on the outside two frames. If so, just take the center 8 frames from each 10 frame box and put them in an 8 frame box. Make sure there is space above them for expansion. It is not too disruptive provided they have stores and space to grow.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I am assuming the frames are all the same size, and there is no brood on the outside two frames. If so, just take the center 8 frames from each 10 frame box and put them in an 8 frame box. Make sure there is space above them for expansion. It is not too disruptive provided they have stores and space to grow.
And get put back into their original locations.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Adrian. Actually I am changing from 10 frame deeps to 8 frame mediums. It seems like the biggest challenge will be to let the 10 frame deep brood chamber hatch and empty out (maybe mid summer?) so I can move the queen up to the new 8 frame medium brood chamber above. I'm not sure how I could do it sooner unless I move the queen up earlier, put an excluder under her, and let all the brood hatch below, then take the deep chamber completely out at that point. But doing twelve of them at once might be difficult and would cause me to have to purchase a bunch of excluders that I don't otherwise need and I fear that they will slow the bees work.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Michael,

Thanks. That really helps to see both pictures AND written descriptions. Glad I joined this group and getting help that keeps me from having to spend a lot of time, trial, and error re-inventing the wheel!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts