Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No Queen, no brood in horizontal hive. Frames loaded with nectar. A friend is bringing 5 frames developed from swarm. We don’t know how to merge horizontal
Thinking about moving my existing frames from horizontal hive into vertical brood boxes so I can merge using newspaper

Need advice.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm guessing the frames in both hives are the same? If so I would just put them into the horizontal hive then smoke em really hard. After the smoke clears they should be fine. Or you can spray the existing bees with 1:1 sugar water then spray the new bees on the frames as you put them into the horizontal hive. After everyone licks themselves clean they will all be happy. Personally I would cage the new queen for a few days just to be safe then release her on the frames with her bees. They should protect her if the others aren't happy.
I've done the newspaper thing and for me sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, especially when it's hot.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
No Queen, no brood in horizontal hive. Frames loaded with nectar. A friend is bringing 5 frames developed from swarm. We don’t know how to merge horizontal
Thinking about moving my existing frames from horizontal hive into vertical brood boxes so I can merge using newspaper

Need advice.
Just use a follower board.
Put the colony with the queen next to the entrance.
Then the follower board.
Then the queen-less colony.

OR use newspaper as if a follower board (vertically).
Make few slashes in the newspaper so to initiate a point of contact.

OR use both the paper and the board.

All it is to it.

Combine into the hive which you want to maintain forward - horizontal or vertical.
Combining into horizontal is just as simple.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had to combine my horizontal hive this spring also. I have a queen exluder frame. I just covered it with newspaper and put a few holes in it like I would do for a regular hive combine. It worked pretty well. If you don't have a queen excluder to use, you could probably tape newspaper in between the colonies.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I had to combine my horizontal hive this spring also. I have a queen exluder frame. I just covered it with newspaper and put a few holes in it like I would do for a regular hive combine. It worked pretty well. If you don't have a queen excluder to use, you could probably tape newspaper in between the colonies.
Don't even need to tape anything.
Simply drape a paper over the last frame of one colony - you have all kinds of room to work - this is a horizontal hive, after all.
Fold one lower corner to have a passage; make few slashes in the paper if you want.
Now just add the next set of frames.
Done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts