Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First try on raising a queen. Attempting to pull a frame with a queen cell or two to start a nuc.
Question.... at what stage of the cell ....what do I look for to determine the proper time to pull?
Any other tips appreciated.

·
Registered
150 Posts
you can pull at any stage there is developing larvae, but to get the healthiest cell you may want to wait until the cell is capped (day 7-8) before moving it. If you move it earlier than that, you will want to make sure that your nuc has a strong population of nurse bees to continue feeding developing queen larvae until it is capped. Of course where these queen cells are coming from also detrmines when you should move them. If its swarming season, dont wait until they are capped as your original queen may have already swarmed. In swarm season move the original queen into the nut, leave a couple of cells for a new queen to emerge and all others make more nucs with!

·
Registered
316 Posts
awfully cold in your part of the world to raise queens now, you got drones? can you even check on the bees with it so cold? i know it hasn't been 50 degrees!

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I prefer a few days close to hatching, but if you don't know the exact timing, once it's capped its good to go.

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
First try on raising a queen.
for just one queen you might consider splitting out the existing queen to make the nuc and allowing the parent colony to make the new queen.

for more than one queen mike bush details some excellent methods on his website for getting cells drawn.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
If it's capped, you've made it past feeding issues. If it's papery on the tip, she is about to emerge and you've made it past heat issues. Those two, feeding and heat, are my concerns when putting a queen cell in a nuc. Depending, of course, on the time of year, the flow and how packed the nuc is with bees...

·
Registered
887 Posts
I moved some last year a couple of days after they capped them....just cut them out and carefully wedged them between two frames in the queen castle and they did fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts