Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my package queen never started laying. I installed about 3 weeks ago. New queen was out in about 6 days. Never started laying. I put package in frames with comb from hive that didn't make it through the winter. Having delay issues with co I bought package from. Also no signs in the last week of marked clipped package queen.

Should I transfer some open brood from my strong hive (they have 4 frames with brood)? If I do that will they raise their own queen? I would like to try this just from a learning aspect. How often should I give them new brood?

Thanks for any advice!
K

·
Super Moderator
11,274 Posts
> Should I transfer some open brood from my strong hive

Yes, but you need to give them eggs/young larva*, if the brood is already capped it is too late to convert those into a queen. Typical advice is to give them one frame of eggs a week for 3 weeks.

*After larva are about 3 days old, they are not likely able to to repurpose them into a queen cell. Many consider that the younger the larva are, the better suited for raising a queen.

You may find the timelines here useful:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm

·
Registered
638 Posts
I would contact whomever you bought the package from and have them send you another Queen if the first one didnt make it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About the time I was ready to add eggs the company I bought from is sending me a new queen. Hope it all goes well even though it's been so long. Thanks for all the help!
K

1 - 5 of 5 Posts