Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if I just have very calm bees but I have mostly inspected without any gear other that nitrile gloves for the past couple of years. I will occasionally throw on a veil when it is cloudy. They seem a bit antsy when the sun isn't shining.

What I started doing which seems to work is that I smoke myself head to toe before I open the hives. I will also give myself a smoke recharge as I work. Maybe this works because the bees can no longer smell me but it is working well. It is a pleasure to not have to wear the extra protection especially during summer heat.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
I also smoke myself head to toe. I do wear a viel and smoke it also before putting it on. I wear short sleeves, shorts and crocs. I back off if bees jump out at me. I use lots of smoke top and bottom of hives.
Cheers
gww

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4 probably increasing to 12 this year. I'll update as I increase the number.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I can take a hit anywhere cept my face so a veil is always on. Everything else is optional to the point of shirt and shorts.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Some bees are calm some are antsy. Some days are calming some are agravating. Some people are calming some are not. When doing a yard tour you can tell who's going to get stung if they don't suit up. I keep a veil around in case I need to finish up after they are done with visitors for the day. We run 2-50 per yard, depending on age of yard (often started with just 2), time of season, size of colonies, and purpose of yard (fewer big production colonies or more little nucs).

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I don't know if I just have very calm bees but I have mostly inspected without any gear other that nitrile gloves for the past couple of years. I will occasionally throw on a veil when it is cloudy. They seem a bit antsy when the sun isn't shining. It is a pleasure to not have to wear the extra protection especially during summer heat.
I am going to go with you have calm bees, until they are not:eek: Every hive has there own demeanor, but as that changes & more hives in a yard, bee aware:D

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to go with you have calm bees, until they are not:eek: Every hive has there own demeanor, but as that changes & more hives in a yard, bee aware:D
Calm bees definitely but they do come from different sources. Some from local nucs and some from Georgia packages.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
I can get away with it too early in the season but always wear at least a veil as the season wears on. I have noticed a single sting on the arm when the stinger is pulled off the bee it will cause a reaction from a lot of other bees. Bee quick to smoke the spot. I once stumbled with a deep hive body full of bees. Basically sat on my butt with the box on top of me. I was glad to be suited up. That would be my worry that something unexpected could start a war.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to make it clear that I am not crazy. I always have a veil by my side even if I'm not going to wear it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The reason I asked for the number is because when I work my bigger yards I have to save the testiest hive for last. Usually if you upset one you will see a difference in all of them. I know if I have multiples to check and I piss off one of the early ones the rest will let me know.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Used to always work my bees in shorts and flip flops.

Now I always use my jacket with a veil. Seems like the bees I have now get mighty testy and it only took a few times of having a hive turn on me to learn my lesson.

They still figure out ways to get to me but its not usually too bad.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Just to make it clear that I am not crazy. I always have a veil by my side even if I'm not going to wear it.
Isn’t that kind of like, I’ll bring my smoker but don’t light it until I need it?:lpf:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I just thank the queen producer that did such a good job selecting gentle bees, haven't had any protection on for years. Now i make my own queens from them.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
I have dropped frames and flipped inter covers full of bees to the ground and got lucky that the bees affected did not go crazy. I have had a few hives at a few times that I just closed up and walked away for a while. I don't like getting stung at all and try to not have it happen.

What I have found though, is most stings do not affect me much like when I first started. I always get some. When I started, I got blisters and patches as big as my hand. Many times now, I can't remember where I just got stung.

I have never got more then 4 or five stings at one time and many times get none. I find comfort that even if I got a couple hundred stings, it is probably discomfort and not death that I would be looking at. So weighing the discomfort of working in hot weather almost every time to the discomfort of having one time go bad, I figure to take the chance.

I have closed up the hives a little early when in derths and open hives get robbing going and have not spent all day doing splits and such. My splitting is usually one at a time and not that disruptive.

I think reading the bees and dressing right for what is going on is a smart proposition. I don't do much cause I don't own any good bee clothing and figure if my bees are mean, I will walk away and not worry about it even if the hive dies. So far, any defensiveness I have seen is usually a one off and short term.

I figure my stuff is just hobby and not a job. I would still try and not over heat if it was a job but would respond with clothing based on the bees if the job needed done. I never have anything that needs done cause I am hobby.
Cheers
gww

Ps I am still scared of bees.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Only got stung 3 times last year so I usually don't have an issue. I have found if I work the bees like I'm doing Tai Chi then they stay calm.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I always wear some kind of PPE when I am working in the apiary. Sometimes it is as minimal as just a pair of safety glasses, I do not do well with stings near my eyes but other stings are not so bad. I usually wear at least a veil if I'm going to be manipulating frames. If I'm making a split, shaking out frames, doing a mite wash, or setting up a cell starter/builder then I'm full PPE with 7 mil nitrile gloves, but just so you know, I've got not qualms about being commando under the bee suit on a hot day. :D

·
Registered
591 Posts
I almost always wear a full suit with smoker, and feel no need to do less. Life is more pleasant when both I and the bees are calm.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts