Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first year in beekeeping, so I'm trying to learn the little tricks. What are your methods for starting undrawn plasticell waxed foundations? I've read that if you are starting with undrawn foundation you should keep with a ten frame set-up until it is drawn out. My mentor said I should start with a nine bar set-up and not worry about having to change them later. So I have gone with the nine frame set-up. However, I have noticed they are diligently drawing on one frame, haven't started drawing on the opposing frame, and it seems as though they are going to continue drawing it out with little regard to the opposing frame.

I guess I should mention this is the second deep brood chamber that I've added to the first established hive I purchased in a deep about three weeks ago.

What kind of problems could this impose considering the "bee gap", frame removal, brood space, efficiency, congestion, ect...

Thanks, John

·
Registered
706 Posts
Always go with ten in both deeps helps keep comb drawn out right after the comb is drawn you can go to nine frames. Also get the plastic froundation drenched in 3:1 sugar water to help them draw it faster.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts