Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one weak hive (it absconded after I introduced the package to the hive box, but left 2 frames of bees at that time) that's been slowly builidng up. I have another hive that is exploding at the seams. I was thinking of taking a frame (with brood) and inserting it in the weak hive. I'm wondering if I should brush all the bees off, and then put the frame in or, should I try using the "newpaper" method leaving all the bee on the frame.??

Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The newspaper will work. I will defer to more experienced Beeks, but what I do is have a spray bottle on spritz with sugar water . Something 1:1 or less. I'll wait till noonish or so so that most field bees are out. Spritz the hive to receive and spritz the frame or frames being donated. They will be busy cleaning each other to notice much.
If your donater hive is that large, maybe a couple of frames to gettem goin for fall flow.
good luck
Rick
SoMd

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
976 Posts
You can give them a frame of brood, including the bees. Just make sure the queen is not on that frame. The bees will not fight since the bees on the donated frame are mostly nurse and/or house bees.

Switching the two hives and letting the foragers from the strong hive come back to the weak hive will also work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can give them a frame of brood, including the bees. Just make sure the queen is not on that frame. The bees will not fight since the bees on the donated frame are mostly nurse and/or house bees.

Switching the two hives and letting the foragers from the strong hive come back to the weak hive will also work.
thats a really good idea,

·
Registered
583 Posts
if you have time,:popcorn:there will be mass confusion at the two hives when they build up at the entrance i like to smoke them. shortens the confusion phase.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
It takes nurse bees for the queen to lay well. Switching hives won't give them nurse bees, and will cause some confusion in the hives. I recommend giving the weak one a frame of sealed brood with adhering bees. This gives the queen what she needs, more nurse bees and nurse bees to be emerging soon. There will be no fighting as nurse bees aren't robbers, they've not foraged so how can they bee? Nurse bees or bees covering brood are always accepted as a welcome resource in the hive. Newpaper is good for combining two hives when both are queenright. Otherwise, I never use newspaper.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I recommend giving the weak one a frame of sealed brood with adhering bees. This gives the queen what she needs, more nurse bees and nurse bees to be emerging soon. There will be no fighting as nurse bees aren't robbers, they've not foraged so how can they bee? Nurse bees or bees covering brood are always accepted as a welcome resource in the hive.
I did this a couple of months ago, with one frame of capped brood and nurse bees. A straight simple transfer from the strong to the weaker hive. It worked like a charm, didn't cause any arguments at all. Within a couple of weeks I could see that my two hives were of equal strength.
Neat. :)

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestion. Seems straight forward. I'll try it tomorrow.
When you put the brood/nursebee frame into the weak hive, put it just to one side of the brood area, as an outer brood frame. Don't put it by itself way over to the side, and don't put it smack in the middle of the brood area. And of course stick the emptier frame back in the strong hive. Good luck! :)
....be absolutely sure you are not taking the queen from the strong hive with you on that frame! :eek:

·
Registered
300 Posts
It takes nurse bees for the queen to lay well. Switching hives won't give them nurse bees, and will cause some confusion in the hives. I recommend giving the weak one a frame of sealed brood with adhering bees. This gives the queen what she needs, more nurse bees and nurse bees to be emerging soon. There will be no fighting as nurse bees aren't robbers, they've not foraged so how can they bee? Nurse bees or bees covering brood are always accepted as a welcome resource in the hive. Newpaper is good for combining two hives when both are queenright. Otherwise, I never use newspaper.
Perfect advice, I'd give them at least two frames, maybe three....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I decided to go the other route. I switched the two hives while all the workers were out to lunch today. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out. It was looking good this afternoon when I left them.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts