Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son got stung in the cheek and his face swelled up like the elephant man. Any good ways to get it to go down.?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guess I should have given more info. It happened last night. It hurt most of the evening and this morning he is all swollen up. So not a 911 type of thing. Just a 411 on remedies.

So he has some more significant reactions to it. Could be all the allergy meditation he is on for the allergies he has.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,228 Posts
Sorry guys, the antihistimines don't do JACK for swelling. They work great for an allergic response but not for the swelling. The only way to kill the swelling is with prescription steroids -- prednisone to be specific. But you will need to get your doctor to agree.

Personally, I swell so bad that I keep a bottle of prednisone on hand. I take the benedryl to keep from dying.

Fuzzy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
Guess I should have given more info. It happened last night. It hurt most of the evening and this morning he is all swollen up. So not a 911 type of thing. Just a 411 on remedies.

So he has some more significant reactions to it. Could be all the allergy meditation he is on for the allergies he has.
I would have it checked out if you tried a cold pack or a cold rag on the swelling and lifted his head up with an extra pillow and nothing happened! I wouldnt be sitting here waiting for days either! Bee stings are sometimes taking too lightly and im not trying to scare you in any way shape or form but they can cause death! If the swelling hasnt went down in within 24 hrs then i would be having him checked out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,309 Posts
If the swelling hasn't started going down yet, is painful or warm/hot to the touch, I'd take him to see a doctor, esp. if he has many other allergies as you indicate.
If he's truly allergic to bee venom, he would have had an anaphylactic reaction long before now. But to play it safe, I'd watch his breathing too.
Regards,
Steven
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,542 Posts
Take thyme and go to bed. The swelling will be down in the morning. Then, since you now know that he isn't allergic, take him to the bee yard and get him stung again. This will keep swelling from happening again. People who get stung regularly don't swell.

"Thyme"? I meant TIME.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,265 Posts
Another time, you might try Boiron Lab's "Apis Mellifica"

My wife takes some homeopathic treatments and responds well to them. I have tubes of the granules but I have never taken them.

A couple of months back another parent was asking for suggestions... I still believe that while it won't reduce swelling, a pony might help the kid feel better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,214 Posts
Swelling is not a sign of allergy so no problem there. If he was allergic, you would have known within 20 minutes or so. Also, great swelling is a sign of a good immune system.

As for getting the swelling to go down, try heat. We were told to put heat on bee stings if they were bothersome while undergoing BVT. It moves the venom into surrounding tissues and the bloodstream instead of keeping it concentrated in a smaller area by icing it after the sting. One thing, too, is certain areas tend to swell more. Areas that are smaller such as fingers, hands, toes, feet ankles, the head...........all tend to show more swelling as there is not a lot of places for it to go except outward.

People undergoing BVT are told to avoid steroids and alcohol for some reason. Just saying...
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top