Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hi jrod you have found a good place here lots of great beekeepers willing to help.You need a good how to book.Look for a beekeeping club in your area.There are some people on this site in your area i believe.The best time to start in in the spring plan on starting with 2 hives> this way you can see the differance in the 2.Do a search on this site for begining and newbes lots of info here.alsois you click on the beesource homepage icon at the bootm of the page there is a listing of bee and bee equipment supliers.get some catalogs.Hope some of this helps wellcome to beekeeping lots of fun.I started 5 years ago and now have 10 hives
Bob

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
There is a great write up that Michael Bush did last year on just getting started. Maybe we can get him to repost it. Essentially I followed it.
1)I made the decision to go all mediums.
2)I started with 3 hives.
3)I had a mentor (besides beesource.com)
4)I started with nucs/splits from my mentor.

Many places it would be too late to start, but in San Antonio you should be ok. You'll have mesquite bloom for awhile I imagine, and a mild winter. If you start with nucs or splits, you'll need to feed. I don't know of anywhere to get packages this time of year, but they would need to be fed as well.

Step 1: Buy some equipment and find some bees.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts