Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I overwintered most of my hives in a deep with a medium of honey for winter feed. Now I have the top of the brood nest extending into the medium. Is it as simple as shaking everybody down and placing a queen excluder over the top? I would like to give them another deep to draw some foundation and expand their brood nest into for making a split or nuc from each colony. I had planned on waiting for the brood in the medium to hatch out before doing so, but worry about swarming prep starting when I confine the queen down into one deep.
I can't be the only one who overwintered like this, how do get my honey supers back?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome thanks, I knew I was overthinking it. I assume I should wait for the brood to hatch out in the medium before adding a deep of foundation and comb underneath it. I have heard elevating brood too far from the queen can cause cells.

·
Super Moderator
10,453 Posts
if the deep and medium are pretty full of bees i don't think it's necessary to wait about adding the bottom deep. either way go through the medium a week after placing the excluder and check for cells.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts