Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently was given a barrel of corn syrup. The donor was not sure what kind of corn syrup it was and just needed it out of his warehouse. The syrup is as thick as caramel at about 40-45 degrees and is very difficult to work with. I prepared some by heating it and adding water but the bees don't want to take it. Does anyone have any idea what I have and how I might feed it? Do I need to mix it with regular sugar syrup. If so, how should I mix it for spring feeding?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Unless you are absolutely sure that it is corn syrup, I would consider the idea that it isn't corn syrup at all and that may be why the bees aren't taking it. Do you really want to put your bees at risk trying to feed them something that might kill them?

If you hadn't taken this stuff, what would your friend have done w/ it? Maybe that's what you should do.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I've seen that stuff before, it is some kind of corn syrup but the bees will never eat it no matter what you do. It may be indigestible.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I would not feed Corn syrup period to my bees. all the things I have read on it, Makes it bad juju mcgumbo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts