Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say you have some nucs and want to help their build up feeding some sugar syrup.

HOw do you do it?

- feed only at night? (you still have the syrup stored in the combs wich can attract robbers)
- reduce entrance
- don't feed at all?

I had robbing problems last year and some problems this year again; this time on a powerfull hive being attacked right near the weaker one as it had a jar feeder installed(also protected by an empty box). I stopped feeding and robbing stopped after 2 days.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've used small plastic bags filled with syrup and placed on the frames made a few holes with a needle ... they ate it all up and had no robbing whatsoever

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see no difference between the two feeding options. The jar that I use penetrates the crown board and the holes are right above the frames (7 holes)

Do you put the right amount so that they finish until morning or remove the feed in the morning?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
8 frames of brood and lots of pollen in one and less in the other. They are booming indeed but don't have a real nectar flow yet.

Did you start adding foundation to the sides of the brood nest?

I'm still afraid to do it as the temps during the nights are low (3 C)

http://daveybees.wikidot.com/openingthesides

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Crown board feeding and ziplock bag feeding should work equally as well, When I was feeding hives 2 years ago I fed enough to last them a week. The key is to reduce the entrance to an easily defendable size which will vary according to the colony population, you can judge this by watching the activity midday and give the bees just enough of an opening so that they are not falling over each other coming and going. something to avoid is having any syrup in open containers while you are working the hives, bees have a real keen sense of smell.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks.

If I feed only during the night does the syrup stored in frames attract robbers more then the natural nectar?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've opened the broodnest several times so far had to add the second deep add brought them to a fruit tree plantation there is a decent flow going on and I've added foundation frames in and on the sides of the broodnest temperatures are low of 5-8c at night where exactly are u cristian my dad is from sebes alba

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The stored syrup shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Then I'm relieved. I live where I have the bees and have bees where I live :)
Probably this is the way in my case: provide only the amount of syrup that can be sucked until morning.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Feed inside the hive with entrance reduced to the smallest workable size, and feed late in the day near dusk. As a second option also install robbing screens to prevent it from starting.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Use robber screens. They are very simple to make and they work. It is best if you put them on at the time you make up nucs, but they can be added later.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Use robber screens. They are very simple to make and they work. It is best if you put them on at the time you make up nucs, but they can be added later.
I haven't thought of that but it is a very good idea to put them right on start. This way home bees will quicly learn the trick. Thanks

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,094 Posts
>- feed only at night? (you still have the syrup stored in the combs wich can attract robbers)

Yes.

>- reduce entrance

Yes.

>- don't feed at all?

That is an option. You can also feed the strong hives and steal honey for the weak ones...

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I have used candy year round before. Hard to rob candy. It will keep them alive, but they will not store it away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts