Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my TBH has been bearding like crazy the last several days. I believe that I need to open it and provide some more bars.

So should I open the hive while they are bearding or am I just asking for it?

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Let 'em beard. No one is doing anything about the bearding bees ion the maple tree in my front yard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So will they be super defensive while bearding if I open the hive? Just trying to get a feeling for what I'll be dealing with.

I'm in the Hamilton area.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
More bees at home, more chances of getting stung. Proper hive manipulation should keep that to a minimum. Had any training? Other than by the bees?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
With my tbh's, I find it seems to have a lot to do with humidity. The more humid it is, the more they spill out onto the porch. Today is cool and rainy, but really humid - tons of bees.

Yesterday was warm, breezy and not so humid. Very few bees on the porch.

Adam

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sqkcrk: No formal training, other than the bees and reading. That's why I built a hive and started keeping. I'm also going to join a club to get more hands on.

Michael: Thanks for providing the info, It has been incredibly hot here and we haven't had rain in a long time. I'm providing water, pollen patties, and sugar water. They have a screen bottom board, but I need to prop open the top cover a little to give them more vertical ventilation.

Thanks for the info everyone. They are more defensive, last weekend when I changed out their sugar water they were all over me. Of course to sqkcrk's point, I was probably rushing.

·
Registered
760 Posts
It's been very hot and humid here in Ohio with very little breeze (though I doubt that would help much as humid as it is). Nearly all the hives are bearding regardless if they have room or not. It's not a big concern unless they are out of space.

-Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts