Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of hive parts including supers, deeps (no frames) top feeders, inner covers etc that were impacted by mice over the winter in my barn. I have removed everything and placed it all outside and cleaned the barn floor with a chlorine solution. Is there a safe non toxic solution that I can use to clean my hive top feeders and other parts. I don't want chlorine to have a residue in my feeders or in my hive boxes? I dont think soap and water will disinfect.
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
I would just use a chlorine solution then give it a good rinse. Plenty of people on here add chlorine to their syrup to keep it from spoiling.

I also believe, from having aquariums as a kid, that the chlorine will evaporate out fairly quickly.
 

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
Joined
·
6,884 Posts
I soak my hive top feeders in regular unscented household bleach (sodium hypochlorite, 3.5% solution) to clean and disinfect them. Scrub all your stuff with a cup of bleach in a 5 gallon bucket of hot soapy water. Rinse and air dry. Like Steve mentioned, many, myself included, add a 1/2 tsp. bleach per gallon to our sugar syrup to keep it from spoiling. The bees are more attracted to it than plain sugar water so you have no worries there. I also suspect.that if you simply rinsed everything well and allowed it to dry, the bees would not have a problem with the equipment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
I have used laundry bleach like JWPalmer noted. I rinse the snot out of it because until now I wasn't sure of the bees health if I left residue in the feeders. My boardman style feeders (which I only use for water during the summer) I have put in the dishwasher (no dry), sometimes with good results, but other times twisted. I have sat outside by the house with the garden hose and a stack of equipment and sprayed the snot out of them (also effective on SHB slimed equipment) with the neighbors watching and local law enforcement slowing to watch the 'crazyfatolecripple' play with the water. LOL! Like they said the bees had no problems with them. Hive top feeders bleachy-soapy-water and rinse well. Hope it all works out for ya! Sorry about being a copy cat...lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,176 Posts
I would recommend a product called "Oxine". While I agree with other posters that chlorine will be fine, if you want to eliminate the possibility of any bleach side effects, you could try Oxine. I've used it for my chickens in the coop including in their feeders, roosts, etc. You can find it on Amazon. It needs to be activated with an acid such as citric acid which is what I use or vinegar. If you mix it according to the directions, residual Oxine is not harmful to livestock....hence my using it in their feeders.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top