Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody have a good suggestion on how to clean your honey strainer? I have one of the metal kind that sits on top of a 5 gal bucket and after a couple of year's use, it's starting to accumulate stuff in it and get clogged up. just wondering if anybody's got a way to clean the wax, propolis, etc. off of it.

Thanks,
Goose

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
For the metal ones, hit it with a torch or weed burner. It's the paint filters that chap my hide!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
First off never touch the wax on the screen. Take it to a hydrant/faucet and run water from the opposite side to flush the wax off. Stubborn wax may need very hot water to melt it off. If you have pressed the wax into the screen you may have to use a toothpick to punch it out. I haven't had to go so far as to use a flame torch.

I clean my cloth filters the same way and most last for years.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I was once advised to rinse honey processing equipment with cold water first. That will dislodge many of the wax particles. After that wash and rinse with hot water. The hot will soften and may melt wax and it'll mold itself into any available crack or crevice. Then it becomes a bigger hassle to remove. Even rinsing first with cold doesn't eliminate the problem entirely but it seems to help.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have a "firehose" nozzle or a "sweeper" nozzle and 90psi water hose. I spray from bottom side and it gets most off using cold water. I suppose that if you had a pressure washer you could try that but it may kill the shape of the screen.

Fuzzy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts