Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best or easiest way to clean a dead out? mainly getting all of those that are buried head first in
the cell. Do you take them one by one or maybe bang them out once they dry out?????

·
Registered
147 Posts
On the frames with plastic foundation, I noticed that holding the frame flat and gently tapping it caused the majority of the bees to fall out. On my others I tried an easy tap and then the family went to work with tweezers and needle-nose pliers....It was a long process, but I want to save all of the drawn comb

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
i have frames from three deadouts in the freezer. the frames that the cluster was on have dead bees head first, capped and uncapped brood, and pollen. i think i'll send those frames in and have them tested.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
I just brush off as many bees as possible and don't worry about those stuck in the cells, that's it. When you reuse the frames the bees will have the cells cleaned out and polished in no time.

Brush out the bulk of the dead bees as soon as you can so the clumps don't start to mold. Then the remaining bees with heads in the cells should dry out ok.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I brush them off, scrape off any propolis and/or burr comb I don't want and leave the rest to the bees. If you're worried about diseases you could freeze the frames.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I just brush off as many bees as possible and don't worry about those stuck in the cells, that's it. When you reuse the frames the bees will have the cells cleaned out and polished in no time.

Brush out the bulk of the dead bees as soon as you can so the clumps don't start to mold. Then the remaining bees with heads in the cells should dry out ok.
I do the same.

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
how do you guys feel about reusing frames that not only have dead bees first in the cells, but has gooey uncapped brood, and capped brood that when it is pulled out has dwv and/or otherwise is deformed.

·
Registered
540 Posts
What about comb where the bees have defecated all over the top bars? Last year I sanded all of the ones down that were like that with a palm sander but what a pain in the donkey.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts