Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using all medium frames in 8 frame boxes. I started my first hive with a BeeWeaver nuc, which consisted of 4 deep frames. My initial setup was bottom, 3" shim, then medium box, which contained the 4 deep frames in the middle and 4 medium frames on the outside. The bees have filled all the frames in the bottom box, but I do not know yet if they built comb on the bottom of the medium frames between the frame bottom and the hive bottom. There is a second box of mediums which is nearly full of brood, and a third box which has mostly comb and honey.

I want to gradually move the deep frames out of the hive. What are your suggestions on the best way to accomplish this with the least amount of disruption to my ladies?

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I'm in the exact same boat right now, you have a couple of options you can make sure the queen is in the second box and put a queen excluder above the deep. Make sure you have a hole above the excluder for drones to escape a 3/8 in hole will do. Or your other option and my plan is just to wait till late winter/early spring next yr and just remove the bottom box while the bees are still up top before they move down.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts