Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assuming that to add a booster package I would place a box over newspaper containing a frame or two of honey or perhaps a feeder...

Am I on track with that?

And how about 3 or 5 frame nucs... is there a way to add some bees to them without causing a ruckus?

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
The newspaper is the book answer. If you saw the story of bee losses and pollination contracts, you know bees are dumped in existing hives successfully by the truckload. I have done it myself. The conditions can be set or improved by feeding and making the recipient hive less defensive. I have even mixed Africanized bees and that hive (requeened) is over a year old. I would not recommend that scenario if you do not absolutely know what you are doing and the hive is that bad off.

·
Registered
119 Posts
3 or 5 frame nucs- if the bees you are adding know they are queenless you probably will be ok. You may have to give them a little bit of time to realize this. If you want to improve chances spray them all down with light syrup/ HBH, and spray a little bit on the nuc too. You could also probably dump them at the entrance to the hive so they would have to "beg" their way in...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts