Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...This IS my first year/attempt at bee keeping and I have a sugar/feeding question I would like to get answered PLEASE!

I read feed 1:1 Syrup for bee's to....?..... feed 2:1 syrup for the bee's to....?..... I have no idea what or which ratio to feed when! :scratch: lol

However; my question if if I simply put plain old out the bag white sugar on top of my inner cover and the bee's consume it is that which 1:1, 2:1,
or NON of the Above?

I like the idea of just putting the bagged sugar on the inner cover and letting er rip..:D

Any suggestions?

Oh are any of you simply using these?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Some believe /theorize or perhaps have proven- 1:1 by weight, that is a pound of water a pound of sugar, helps with build up . 2:1 is used as a storable food source in the fall. Many opinions and many variations on how and when as well as additives and a host of other issues. I've read dry sugar lightly moistened will work as winter feed, I think it's called mountain camp or some such thing. Check out bush bees feeding bees very informative. A debatable subject to say the least!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
If they have plenty of stores I wouldn't feed. If you believe they need to draw comb feed 1:1. If they are using up stores and they have drawn empty comb feed 2:1 so they will fill up the empty comb. Last year late in the summer I had a hive, single deep under a medium where I found the queen had moved up and the bees had eaten all the stores in the bottom. I started feeding with 2:1 (actually more like 7cups to 4 cups because I found that it was hard to get 2:1 dissolved). I fed about 4 quarts per week for 4 weeks, and then when I inspected found they had stored enough to virtually fill the comb. The exact ratio of sugar to water is not that important you will find.

For the winter I put on dry sugar above the upper box in a frame where the bees could come up to feed. Some folks place a newspaper on top of the top frames and put about 10 pounds of sugar on top.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
2:1 = Sugar:Water by Volume Used to put on stores. Typically need to heat up in order to dissolve ie super-saturated liquid. Some folks adjust acidity with vinegar or ascorbic acid (vitamic c).

·
Registered
983 Posts
Use 1:1 to stimulate or feed. Use 2:1 in prep for winter on light hives. I dont get overly complicated when mixing syrup. I use volume not weight. A gallon of water to a gallon of sugar gives you 1:1 and a gallon of water to two gallons of sugar for 2:1. Hot tap water will disolve sugar in 1:1 but you need to heat to disolve sugar for 2:1.

I just made 500 gallons of syrup today for feeding. The fall flow just started and we will see how it goes.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Groovy, thanks so much for the reply's:}

However; my question is if if I simply put plain old out the bag white sugar on top of my inner cover and the bee's consume it, is that which one 1:1, 2:1,
or NON of the Above?

·
Registered
477 Posts
None of the above it would not be a ratio, it would just be sugar on top of your hive.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The sugar cubes on top would no doubt make a good winter emergency feed but the bees will not use it to fill comb for winter stores, and as already stated it is not 2:1 or 1:1 because there is no water mixed into it.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Wouldn't that be easier and best?
No, actually, I think that would be the worst if you are trying to provide stores for the bees to carry them through the winter. The bees need to store their food in empty cells surrounding their winter cluster. When you need to feed, this is accomplished by providing them with syrup in a consistency that best lets them evaporate some of the moisture while not oversaturating the hive's environment, That's why the mix proportions generally recommended are far heavier in sugar than water.

Using 1:1 makes the bees work overtime evaporating unnecessary water at a time when it is cooler and moisture in the air is generally increasing. Using 2:1 or 5:3 or a similar proportion reduces the excess moisture you are introducing to the hive.

Using dry sugar to fill the cells would require the bees to bring in large amounts of moisture to liquefy the sugar and I am doubtful that any significant amount would reach the cells. They will use this in the winter when they are able to break cluster and travel to the top of the hive to retrieve it. Use dry sugar above only for emergency feeding when you realize the bees have no hope of surviving using their stored honey or syrup, which they should be storing away now.

Wayne

1 - 11 of 11 Posts