Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have this swarm up under the eaves of this persons house. About 8 feet up.

What is the recommended way to collect it. I know I am going to get a dozen answers but, that is what I am looking for. Should I do it at night during the day? Scrape them into the box, Vacuum them? Looks simple but, never done a wild swarm before that was not my own. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
760 Posts
i would not do it at night - bees cant fly at night and any that fall will be on the ground - making it hard to retreve

i would go out about 8-11am - and place a box under the swarm - and scrape them with a piece of stif cardboard - into the box - put a lid on it

2nd option - place the swarm into the box and scrape it into the box - similer to how you get a bee of the window with a jar and index card

3rd - if you have a Bee vac - vacuum them off while they are clustered - before they start flying

if all else fails - call me up ill come down and show ya how its done !!!!!

but really - its easier then you will think -- also - take sugar water not smoke
-- smoke is to get the bees to eat honey - they are swarming so they are all ready full !!!!!!- sugar water is to keep them from flying - just dont drown them

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so should I leave the box there until dark so the ones that are out and about have a place to go? I am sure there is some comb in the middle there so I can tie that into a frame in the middle of the box. I am not sure I have any extra frames with comb on it after all my packages I installed.

·
Registered
760 Posts
yeah -- if the home owners would let you leave it there - i would leave it there over night

if there is comb and you are probably right looking at the shape of the cluster

a bee vac is going to be your best bet

seperate the comb into 2 seperete areas - the brood and the food -

if the home owners wants some honey id give them the chunk honey - since it will do nothing for you but cause a big mess

best of luck with it

if i was closer id come give you a hand but got Tball with the son tommorw :(

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah -- if the home owners would let you leave it there - i would leave it there over night

a bee vac is going to be your best bet
So if I get a majority of the bee's will the queen be in the pile will she come into the box because her peeps are in there? I wont have much time taking them off the wall to search for her.

·
Registered
760 Posts
- id start but sucking the surface bees - then wait a few minutes - then suck the new surface bees - keep doing this - this will get most of your bees out of your way

then start on the out side and take comb one at a time

suck the bees of the comb and set it in a bucket - and proceed

BUT ---remember to have a queen cage handy -- infact --- go put one on your dash board right now so that you dont forget it -- infact put a few in the glove box for future calls

anyhow back to bizz

as you enter the brood comb keep looking for the queen
when you find her put her in the queen cage -
and continue sucking bees up and leave the last comb hanging

and walk away for about 20 minutes -

then come back and vacuum the remaing bees

then wait - then vacuum the rest - take the comb down

scrub the wax off the best you can and head on home

oh and put the queen with the bees asap

good luck on the catch

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
That little swarm doesn't have enough comb to bother with. Spray them with sugar water, brush or scrape into a box and take them home.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lookls more like a small colony than a swarm.
You are most likely correct. We found comb with honey no brood. It was all bee's but, I think there might be some behind the bird block also. There was activity going up over the block after I cut it out. I did not see a queen either.

We are going to give it a few days and see if they are coming and going over the block and if so I will have to saw-zawl out the bird block and take them out. I should re-say that I don't have too but, I am a nice guy and will do it for free.

We cut it down into a box and scooped up the bee's. No queen I think. We decided that a bee vac would have been a better tool for the job. So next project is to make one. I have chosen this one to make. Seems like the best solution top and bottom on the box that they are going to stay in. So just pull them off put top and bottom and you are done. Don't have to move the frames. Seems like less disturbing them. http://www.plantedparadise.com/Bee-Vacuum

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got another call today for a swarm. It is in the second floor eve's. They want me to come tomorrow. Wanted to know how much I charge. Was shocked when I said I would do it for free. (maybe that was a mistake) Once we got the call we quickly went out and built a Bee Vac box so that we could vac them up. Got two 10 foot 2" PVC pipes and couplers to attach it to the ladder so we could vac them from that high. It will be pretty high so we figured we needed the vac. Hope I have enough suction and they don't get hurt as they plummet down the pipe. We will see how it goes, might have to make a back mounted version.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
326 Posts
I built that bee-vac and it works great! If I could make a recommendation: when you build it, build two. It doesn't take much more time, since you have the saw set up alread. Then, if you vac a really big hive, having a second set to switch to is a real life saver. You can just pull the luan out of the top for ventilation, and let the first one sit while you switch to the other unit. Then, when you get them to your apiary, set the two deep boxes on top of each other for a day and they will combine into one. Remove the empty, and you are good to go.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea we thought of that also. The way I made it is the bottom is just a 4'" box with a slope and hole for the incoming vac hose. I put a regular box on top of that. Then made an inner cover like device with most if the center screening for the top of the box. Then another 4" box for the hole to the vac that creates the suction and a second hole to regulate suction. All I have to do is pull off the top box and the screened board keeps them in. I cut enough to make 2 more bottoms and screens. Only need one top and will have 3 setups to use. Since these calls are coming in one a day it seems. It came out just like http://www.plantedparadise.com/Bee-Vacuum. Great design. Will see how it works in real life. Only took 2 hours to build.

·
Registered
760 Posts
here is a few pics of mine ---

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii5/sethsmith99/Beekeeping/

you can see that the bottom is slopped and the frames give them someing to hold onto

made from 2 shallow supers with the top 3/4" cut off so as to do away with the frame rests

this was i could stick on the 3/4'' sticky foam -- great seal

anyhow i works great - when im done i just put a top and bottom on the white deep and walk way

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I've had them do both. If I am working w/ bees at night there is always some light. You don't work bees at night in total darkness, do you?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 18 of 18 Posts