Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How quickly comb is drawn and should this pic concern me?

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  psfred 
#1 ·
Hello all! I have installed my first 5 frame NUC this year and am enjoying the heck out of it. Talking to the local master bee keeper that sold me the bees he suggested to wait till 8 out of 10 frames are drawn out, move them to the center of the hive box since they should be on the edge and then add my second hive box. I did just that last Monday but also moved two frames of bees up to the top hive box because I am mixing foundation-less frames into the mix and they are serving as a guide for strait comb. I held off as long as I could but went and checked on them today. I see some more comb drawn out on one of the two original empty frames with foundation but none of the foundation-less has any comb on it yet. Here is a pic of the hive. All this comb attaching to the sides and other frame. Should that be scraped off? Should I leave it alone and just pull the frames apart later? What do you think? If I don't have to rial up the bees I don't want to.

Wood Lumber Bench Wood stain Plank

On the foundation-less frames, when do you think they will start building comb on them? I know I know. It is all locational, type of bees, so on and so forth with a hundred variables. But what are your experiences or best guess. I am feeding 1:1 sugar water in a small jam jar though a feeder at the hive entrance that they eat through in about 5-6 hours of daylight. The rest of the day they have non till I get to them the next day.

See less See more
#4 ·
I drop foundationless. Between 2 drawn combs in the brood nest with open space on either end they are liable to curve them into other frames if you do get wonky comb correct it as early as possible which if done early is usually nothing more than cutting loose the curve straightening it out and mashishing it to the comb guide

#5 ·
I second the moving of all the drawn comb together. When the hive is strong enough and the flow is on the bees will build comb. Start feeding them full meals instead of appetizers or your gonna have a small hive thru summer and when the fall flow hits your not gonna have enough bees to do any good.

#6 ·
I started with 2 swarms this year in Texas. Surely a little smaller than packages. Both are doing great on foundation less frames but are slow. About 2/3 of the 10 frame medium super is filled out. I'm not feeding..

One hive superseded so we will see but lots of brood. Slower than I thiught but they are getting there.

#7 ·
Put the drawn comb together except for one undrawn comb between the last two drawn ones on each side.

Push all the frames tightly together, you have them spaced out a bit and the bees will "see" that extra space as somewhere to build bridge comb. Never space out brood frames, keep them tight together. Scrape any propolis on the end bars off so that fit tight.

If you do not have a strong flow, you will have to feed to get them to draw comb.

Peter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.