Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in Zone 7a and we are having an October that is quite warm and it's supposed to be in the 70s and 60s for the whole month. I have 2 hives and 2 double nucs that need to put on weight as their stores are low. How quickly can they take 1:1 and store it? Is there anything I should do to get them to store it quicker? Like pouring into the combs?

I am doing 1:1 because I want to stimulate brood rearing. I did a MAQS treatment for mites and the queens have slowed down and I am worried I don't have enough brood to get through winter if they don't get fed.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
I'd feed thicker syrup, 5:3 sugar to water. In fact feeding some now.
Poor fall in my neck of the woods in NY.
They'll brood on 2:1, 5:3, 1:1. They'll store them all too.
With the cooler nights the thinner 1:1 may leave you short of weight, and the bees with open cells of partly reduced sugar water. Chances are you and the bees run out of good weather and time.

They will make bees with thicker syrup if they need to while the weather holds.
My inclination is to give them the thicker feed and get it done so I have a second chance later on if the weather stays warm and they use some up and put themselves in a predicament for winter.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Should I just give them back some honey I extracted? I have extra very dark honey that I extracted in late August
What is point of that?
You already extracted it for what exactly?

You have to have a good reason to feed the honey back (not just do it willy nilly because it is "natural").
For example, now being late in season my weakest colonies are getting straight honey - non-extracted frames, to be sure.

BTW, I would not feed back that "extra very dark honey that I extracted in late August".
Better feed straight sugar vs. "that" (sugar is less risky).
Send me the dark honey instead. :)
I love dark honeys. The best.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Should I just give them back some honey I extracted? I have extra very dark honey that I extracted in late August
I wouldn't.
Nothing wrong with feeding them up to weight with 5:3 as fast as they will take it. In fact, feeding honey may start a robbing frenzy with other bees and yellow jackets and wasps and ants. Plain old sugar and water doesn't usually start that trouble unless you spill it all over the place or the hive is not tight allowing intruders in or the entrance is way too wide for the population of bees to defend.

I'd enjoy the dark honey over the fall and feed them 50 cents/pound pure cane sugar and water.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd feed thicker syrup, 5:3 sugar to water. In fact feeding some now.
Poor fall in my neck of the woods in NY.
They'll brood on 2:1, 5:3, 1:1. They'll store them all too.
With the cooler nights the thinner 1:1 may leave you short of weight, and the bees with open cells of partly reduced sugar water. Chances are you and the bees run out of good weather and time.

They will make bees with thicker syrup if they need to while the weather holds.
My inclination is to give them the thicker feed and get it done so I have a second chance later on if the weather stays warm and they use some up and put themselves in a predicament for winter.

I use allot more sugar, I use about 2.2 kg x 2 to a 20 liter pot. I boil down to a drip off off a wooden spoon, and then I cool and feed a couple of hives with it. I put in the syrup Fumidal B, Honey B Healthy, and 2 days later all gone.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
I use allot more sugar, I use about 2.2 kg x 2 to a 20 liter pot. I boil down to a drip off off a wooden spoon, and then I cool and feed a couple of hives with it. I put in the syrup Fumidal B, Honey B Healthy, and 2 days later all gone.
Sure that will work too.
For me though I don't use any heat and fill the tank with water from the hose so choose 5:3 . Dissolves the sugar just fine.
Heat is necessary (or hot water) for anything thicker. I use 50lb bags of sugar and plain water from the hose and mix it with a circulating pump in the tank, no additives.

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
It is not really clear from your weights and volumes what ratio of sugar to water you are actually getting. Like how much water is in that 20 l. pot?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts