Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How quickly can bees draw out a frame (both sides) of foundation? I realize it depends to some degree on genetics, race, climate, nectar flow and ... so many other factors, but I'm just curious how quickly folks have seen frames get drawn out (say in perfect conditions!).

Registered
There are a lot of factors. I've see medium foundationless super drawn, filled and capped in 8 days.

When the flow is on and I add a second deep to an overwintered single I expect it to be drawn in 10 days.

Registered
How quickly can bees draw out a frame (both sides) of foundation? I realize it depends to some degree on genetics, race, climate, nectar flow and ... so many other factors, but I'm just curious how quickly folks have seen frames get drawn out (say in perfect conditions!).
I just checked today and I have 7 frames filled and one partial on a 10 frame deep , A second hive body I installed two weeks ago. We have had lots in bloom but cooler and wetter than normal. \looks like the girls are giving it their all.

Registered
There's a monster flow going on in town at the moment. I had a 5 frame nuc draw out 2 frames of foundation and 2 foundationless frames in 9 days and pack in 25 pounds of honey into it in the same period. In the county all the alfalfa is blooming and I got 25 foundationless frames mostly drawn (out of 40) in 7 days and they are all slammed with honey. Since its already almost to the 100 degree mark here I expect comb failure :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts