Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new here, do not know anything about beekeeping, but I'm hoping someone can point me in right direction - I had a naturally occurring beehive way in the back of my yard, but now for some reason the bees are all swarming in one spot along the side of my house. Is there something I can do to get them to go back to their old spot? I've seen bees being raised in what look like wooden boxes - if I put one of those somewhere else in my yard, will the bees be attracted to that? Where can I (quickly) get one of those, or can I build one? I obviously don't want to harm the little guys but need them away from my house. If someone could send me a link, would be so grateful. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
This is the time of year that the southern states start having swarms. The swarm is probably just resting on your house while they find a suitable home. Yes, a beekeeper can move them into a box. Actually, if you were in my area, I'd jump at the opportunity to get feral bee genetics. You may want to post where you are. Maybe someone here can come over. To get them to leave, Bee-B-Gone will drive them off, but by the time it is shipped to you they will probably be gone anyway.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Please identify your location (city/state/country) in your profile - this question is being posed to the entire world when someone in your own community is more likely to give you a satisfactory answer. Chances are you still have bees in the old spot, and the swarming bees are a second group interested in perpetuating the species.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, have added my location (Crockett CA, 94525) to my profile. Interesting that the bees may be trying to start a new colony.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I'm Florida. If they are all outside, then it is a stop over. If they went into an opening, then you may have a problem. Try posting a picture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts