Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How many hives did you lose in the last two years ?
How did you lose them,what happened ?
What breed of bees do you have ?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's not a shame to lose hives,I think this is a very important question.The answers can help everyone what to watch for. There has been 76 views and no replies.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
How many hives did you lose in the last two years ? 2 Splits
How did you lose them,what happened ? They Died
What breed of bees do you have ? Honey

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Seriously. I made 2 splits that I believe got robbed out short after I made them and they perished. I also had a TBH that died. Not sure what happened to them. I never really paid much attention to them. I was just letting them grow and swarm. Checked on them one day and they were dead. Pretty sure the mites got’em.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was reading on number of hives thread and some were saying they lost 6-200 hives.I was wondering what happened for a person to lose so many ? Maybe some of them could reply ?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I lost 10 or so. They "cold-starved." There was enough stores but no break in the weather so they could get reorganized and move to them.

Dickm

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
part of the reason we have lost bees, is because we have gone in the hives to soon, and they got chilled. Some of the other reasons for last years losses stemmed from improper nutrition due to very inclement weather all spring and summer, and then going into a brutal and long winter.
If i had to do it all over again, hey i guess i did...i put out more pollen in the hives in the fall to give the bees an extra boost. I was also more tough on what hives went into winter and what was not strong enough so i combined. HOpe to see some of the hard choices pay off

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
In the last two years I've lost one hive, apparently due to CCD... It was the only colony of plain jane Italians... all the rest of mine are Russians, Purvis, or B. Weaver bees.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I can't really tell you have many hives I have lost because I don't keep count. I would say that on average I lose 2 to 3 per yard per year. The reasons...I would say more often then not it is from old or poor queens. The same with losing hives over winter. In most cases it is because the hive didn't have enough bees to make it through the winter, again due to an old or poor queen. I don't have a mite problem (spring and fall EO treatments have worked excellent) and the last year I had two hives with foul brood that immediately went into the fire.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
How many hives did you lose in the last two years ?150+ last year and 250+ this year. It's hard to get an exact count because of the constant replacing of queens, making splits, etc.

How did you lose them,what happened ? Some swarm and never get a mated queen. Some had high mite loads as did the ones that survived after treatment. Some had high nosema counts. Bear got some. Most I never figured out and if I did maybe I could come out of the red.

What breed of bees do you have ? Mainly Italian and Carniolan but there is a mix of just about everything in the operation considering where the queens come from and they are open mated.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
part of the reason we have lost bees, is because we have gone in the hives to soon, and they got chilled. Some of the other reasons for last years losses stemmed from improper nutrition due to very inclement weather all spring and summer, and then going into a brutal and long winter.
If i had to do it all over again, hey i guess i did...i put out more pollen in the hives in the fall to give the bees an extra boost. I was also more tough on what hives went into winter and what was not strong enough so i combined. HOpe to see some of the hard choices pay off
Yes, the summer was very bad here in Texas,First we had a month and a half of 105 degree weather and then rain for a month and a half,then an early winter. We have inside feeders on our hives with dry sugar. They had alot of store but they were bringing in the pollen untill the freeze. I hope they have pollen for the brood all winter. Maybe I should buy some pollen. We don't combine hives,we cut back the brood boxes and feed them.
You are right,hot ,no rain and then all rain takes a big toll.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't really tell you have many hives I have lost because I don't keep count. I would say that on average I lose 2 to 3 per yard per year. The reasons...I would say more often then not it is from old or poor queens. The same with losing hives over winter. In most cases it is because the hive didn't have enough bees to make it through the winter, again due to an old or poor queen. I don't have a mite problem (spring and fall EO treatments have worked excellent) and the last year I had two hives with foul brood that immediately went into the fire.
Yes,weak hives will do it, you must combine for the winter then. Don't your bees swarm ? If you don't re-queen,you need to let them swarm. I know some people have good luck at stoping swarms,do you ?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
How many hives did you lose in the last two years ?150+ last year and 250+ this year. It's hard to get an exact count because of the constant replacing of queens, making splits, etc.

How did you lose them,what happened ? Some swarm and never get a mated queen. Some had high mite loads as did the ones that survived after treatment. Some had high nosema counts. Bear got some. Most I never figured out and if I did maybe I could come out of the red.

What breed of bees do you have ? Mainly Italian and Carniolan but there is a mix of just about everything in the operation considering where the queens come from and they are open mated.
Wow,I'm so sad to hear that.How many hives did you have ? Do you count losing a queen as losing a hive ? We try to keep alot of drones around so the queens get matted real good. We have tried so far not to treat for anything but I know we must keep mites under control by doing mite counts and treat them. We are trying to buy good queens that are resistant to everything and then see how they do and raise our own queens and maybe sell some.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
How many hives did you have ? Summer '08-700 at one time; '09-950 at one time counting Cali(almonds) survivors and spring splits

Do you count losing a queen as losing a hive ? No I don't. By mid july to early august if a hive is found queenless(and weak) and I have used all my nucs made through out the early summer for replacement I shake the bees out and it is a deadout. There is no sense in beating a dead horse to get it to crawl.

Since I first started(spring 2002) with bees and knew little about management I lost less colonies(percentage wise) than I do now. Evey year it is getting worse and worse with percentage of loss. The more I learn the less it feels that I know.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I havent lost any in the past two years. But this winter is just getting started.. All the past loses were due to mites ( Tracheal and Verroa) leaving my hives to weak to winter. So now I treat with formic acid and havent had a mite problem or any loses since.:lookout:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i did not lose any of my four last winter, this summer i bought out a retiring beek who had split most his hives this spring,to make 46, he had not fed them and was letting them raise thier own queens ( a risk here) especially in early summer. when i went and looked them over they were in a cherry orchard, and looked like they were building up. i should have known to feed them as soon as i got them home, but i didn't. everything went pretty well until mid august when we had several days of rain (unheard of here) followed by a cloud of yellowjackets that outright killed 10 hives, and weakened many others. the onslaught started a few days after a family emergency and so it was out of control by the time i discovered it. the reason i had not responded to this thread was that i figured everyone heard enough about this from me when it was happening. when i finally got hives in order this fall i had to combine several weak ones so i count those as losses as well. went into winter with 32 from 50 so 18 lost. justin

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
CCD Colony Collapse Disorder... in my case I did a post mortem, ruled out starvation, absconding, queenlessness, freezing, etc... At this point it seems to be a catch-all classification for when we simply do not know or cannot figure out. There is more to ccd than that, of course, but in layman's terms, it covers that great "unknown." :lookout:
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Yes,weak hives will do it, you must combine for the winter then. Don't your bees swarm ? If you don't re-queen,you need to let them swarm. I know some people have good luck at stoping swarms,do you ?
No, I have never had a hive swarm. Maybe I misspoke. I do re-queen but don't do a fall re-queening. Yes, if I can catch them in time I will combine, but usually I am concentrating on getting the everything else ready for Calf. and winter then trying to save a few hives.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts