Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or in other words when did manufacturers switch over to stainless steel? I keep seeing old-looking galvanized extractors for sale, and it got me curious.:scratch: Adrian.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Is there anything wrong with continuing to use an extractor with a galvanized tub?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I still have the one i bought from Sears & reobuck in 1965. (hand crank) I have stainless steal now and don;t use the old old one. Kelley Co. sells a epoxy plastic coating that you can spray over the galvanize metal. Jack

·
Registered
114 Posts
Whats the debate? I haven't heard this before and Im interested to know more. Whats wrong with using galvanized steel in an extractor? Is there a place to read more about this? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
My family used the galvanized extractor and ate soghum made in a galvanized separater for years and were still in good health. (i'm 71 years old) I also sprayed our milk cow's with a pump type fly sprayer with DDT and had it running down my elbow, the government said it was a health haszard and took it off the market. I think the Government needs to get a second opinion on some things.:scratch:Jack

·
Registered
280 Posts
Whats the debate? I haven't heard this before and Im interested to know more. Whats wrong with using galvanized steel in an extractor? Is there a place to read more about this? Thanks.

I think the debate is about lead either in the galvanized or used to solder joints.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
In todays world, its not okay to do anything unless the government says it safe.
Right. I used to own a stainless fab shop. We were NSF approved. Very tight rules on what you can and cannot use. From the metal to silicone.

Search Camcote on here. That should turn up plenty of results for the info you're looking for. That's the epoxy used to coat the galv.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts