Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I am adding foundationless frames in between drawn comb, how often should I check to make sure they are building it straight? I added several foundationless frames on May 27th and it is now the 30th. I am thinking tomorrow which will be 5 days.
Jipsy

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Just popping a lid does not largely disrupt the bees. Pulling every frame and studying in detail does disrupt a lot. Just do your business and get out. I would check those foundationless frames often. If you put them between two drawn and capped frames of brood they will turn out well usually.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Like Vance said, put the foundationless in between brood frames. If you put them between frames of honey, you will get lots of drone comb. I learned this lesson the hard way last year so I have a bunch of frames of solid drone comb. I leave those on the outsides and they get filled with honey. Make sure your hive is level from side to side and they should draw them out just fine. I think they build out foundationless faster than they do with foundation, especially in the middle of a flow.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I would check often now during the flow, everyday won't hurt. In a month or two they won't be drawing much during dearth. Rain-willing.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
They are your bees, disrupt at will. Test the water. I bet you could do a quick inspection every day and they would be fine. Do it and report back. Think of living in a swaying tree. We move things all around every 12-14 days, and find that those hives do way better than the ones at a friend's house that we ignore.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
445 Posts
They are your bees, disrupt at will.
I don't really know much about foundation less so I can't speak to that. I have heard others tell beginners to check the hive whenever they want. While I think the sentiment is good, it is counter productive to the super organism. Why would you want to check a hive every day? Why would you want to check a hive more often during the flow? I pull comb as little as possible during the flow. I tip the box back and look for swarm cells and that's it. I visited Ron Breland this spring. Since seeing his hives I disturb me bees as little as possible.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
We had a hive on the back porch, the back door would swing and hit it. Never seemed to bother them. We have gone back into a hive after 5-10 minutes to retrieve brrod, and never notices that the bees were not as they were the first time we opened it.

It is possible that different people have different skills, some may cause troubles for a beehive.

Maybe "Don't look too often" is an excuse for lazy beekeepers?

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
We had a hive on the back porch, the back door would swing and hit it. Never seemed to bother them. We have gone back into a hive after 5-10 minutes to retrieve brrod, and never notices that the bees were not as they were the first time we opened it.

It is possible that different people have different skills, some may cause troubles for a beehive.

Maybe "Don't look too often" is an excuse for lazy beekeepers?

Crazy Roland
Personally, it seems to me that no matter how many times i'm in the hives, they continue to do what is normal for them to do. I've opened up hives multiple times in a day and week with no diff in production compared to the others around it.

Some pple say that the smoke keeps them from finding forage, etc for days, but apparently my bees didn't get the memo. They continue to work right along as i'm working in the hives. But again as Vance G states, just popping the top really don't disrupt them much at all. I do that to mine on a regular basis without smoke, just to check on the upper chamber's stores.

Everyone goes through a phase when they want to check everything in the hives. Once you have more time in the hives, you will mellow and not worry so much. Or if you really desire to be in them, get some more hives. It'll keep you hopping. lol.. Mine do me.. And i'm looking to expand another 10 hives in 5 more weeks.. lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts